I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread twisting
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 10:35PM

I still have a twisting issue with all types of thread. The thread twists between the spool and the tensioner, I have used Mike B's spring and paper clip idea, sewing machine type tensioners, and a few other off the wall idea's I came up with. What I would like to know is how the thread is spooled to the original spool and how should it come off? If any one has knowledge of how this is done, IE been to a factory, and watch it being done I would like to know. I have tried both vertical and horizontal thread carriages, I can make any thing I need to, to make any type of thread carriage I need to.

Because of the thread twist, thread work has become my least favorite thing to do on rods, I really would like to get this straighten out and maybe I would do more thread work. Right now I'm thinking of hiring out the thread work, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO frustrated, any help would greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread twisting
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 10:38PM

Tim,
Solve your problem by not using a "thread" tensioner.

Rather, use a "spool" tensioner.

If you tension the spool, the line will not be pinched by a tensioner and will spool off cleanly.

Your problem is fairly common for the thread tensioners that pinch the thread during its tensioning.

Check the photo on this web site for a few examples.
Lots of good ideas out there.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2008 10:40PM

Roger makes a good point that will almost certainly help with your thread twist issue. Tension the spool, just remember that as the thread volume on the spool decreases, tension will automatically increase. So check it every so often and back off a bit as your thread gets lower on the spool.

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: November 19, 2008 12:17AM

Tim-
Try changing the direction your thread leaves the spool-if when wrapping your thread comes off the top of the spool turn it around and make it come off the bottom.
I know this prevents line twisting when filling casting reels-line going onto the top of the reel spool should come off the top of the supply spool. When wrapping a rod you are doing the same thing-taking it off of one cylinder putting it on another. I started out doing it that way because it seemed logical to me. Have not done it the other way so I can't say for sure. If you're looking for a solution it can't hurt to try.

It sounds like you have used the spool tensioners (like M. Barkley's you said) and that did not correct the problem. Was there less of a problem with that type? Does it happen with all brands/all sizes/all the time?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2008 09:38AM by Chris Davis.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 02:07AM

Tim here is an example of a " spool tensioner" . This works great for me , no twisting, no frizzes.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 08:54AM

here is one I made that can use 2, 4 or even 6 spools of thread if I want. many ideas on the photo site.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 11:56AM

Bill,
I am curious as to why you thread the thread through so many eyelets?

I have thought that the fewer the eyelets touching the thread, the better the thread would be when wrapped on the rod.

If possible I prefer to use an eyelet in the front center of the spool so that the thread only touches an eyelet now and then during the wrapping process.

Thanks for any illumination.

Roger

p.s.
I assume that the bent spring on your setup is used to maintain tension, in case the rod needs to be backed up to correct a mistake?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 04:08PM

I don,t know. It just seems to work out well. Some times when I use several threads and the spools are kind of far apart, at least two of the eyes bring it together. I like the thread high up and to come down onto the rod. Maybe I should make the unit higher ?? I never had any problems with it. The top spools go though the eyes in front of the spools, the bottom spools I use the eyes that are very low and then go to the top eyes. Maybe it is time for an upgrade. The spring can go from side to side if I want to keep a thread over a lot while starting using another thread. Plus it is good to keep tension on the thread when I mess up and have to back the wrap up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster