I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

One Part Rod Finish ?
Posted by: Joe Hart (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2008 10:01PM

Looking for suggestions regarding a medium build one part rod finish (clarity not an issue), that can be applied and dried in shorter order than conventional two part formulas.

Have a fair number of steelhead rods that need to be fishing by the end of the month and do not have the time to "traditionally" finish them. Blanks range from 9'6" - 13' and have between 14 - 20 wraps per, hence the desire for a more timely finish process.

I understand that this is a rod crafting forum where finish quality is typically held in high regard and mean no disrespect to the artisic values of it's members whilst seemingly asking for "shoddy workmanship assistance"... Only seeking a speedier option to having this particular group of rods into test mode by Dec. 1.

Thanks in advance for any help in the matter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One Part Rod Finish ?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2008 10:14PM

Urethane. Epoxy actually is your very quickest means of finishing your rods, believe it or not. But if you need less time spent during the setting stage, try something like Gudebrod Speed Coat. You will have to use several coats, however.

Or, the Swifty Diamondite product which will cure in an hour, one coat, with heat from a common incandescent light bulb.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 01:15AM

You might also try multipl coats of Perma Gloss.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 02:25AM

The Diamondite is probably quickest as it sets up in an hour and you only need one coat most times. I've used it a couple of times on repair jobs and it's good to work with.

The one coat finishes all take multiple coats and dry in about the same time between coats as one coat of Swifty Diamondite.

Terry

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 10:46AM

Here is something you can try on an old blank but you may like it. Instead of CP get some Stiffy by Plaid industries, you can get it at any hobby store and some WMs . It makes GREAT CP, it dries with a matte texture but It holds colors better than any purpose made color preserver I have used. OK, apply two coats with one hour or more in between and then 2-4 thin coats of Perma Gloss and you will have between a light and medium build finish, takes less time than epoxy and looks good too.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 11:54AM

The Diamondite is a great finish, and about all I ever use. But beware that being dry in a couple of hours is not the same thing as being fully cured. Like most finishes it continues curing for some time after it is dry, and with Diamondite if you get it wet from being rained on it will turn white and cloudy. It will eventually dry out and look better, and after a week or so it is virtually indestructible.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 09:55PM

Another vote for diamondite for quick needed repairs. Advertised as 1hour working time and 1 hour dry time. Sets up in about 2hours and fully dry in 3.

Contrary to above, for me it basically cures within 8hours.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 10:14PM

I hope I'm wrong but from what I have heard, Diamondite is no longer in business

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Joe Hart (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 11:17PM

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I finally mixed up a batch of the Diamondite (after a year of storage), last night and will use that as soon as I get a "lengthy lightbank" assembled...

Good hookups !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster