I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for Tom or others on Carbon Sleeving
Posted by: Bill Lane (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2008 04:52PM

I have some blue composite sleeving that I want to use. The problem is the stubborn creases in it are very strong. I dont believe that the sleeve will stay bonded to the foam while drying since it takes so much force to make it lie flat. Will creases relax when wet, or is there something anyone has done to Iron out creases befor using sleeves? I have thought about ironing or soaking in distilled water and drying, but that may not be an issue once wetted out. Any thoughts? Thank You

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for Tom or others on Carbon Sleeving
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 15, 2008 06:45PM

I stopped using the colored fiberglass/carbon sleeves because of that. Even shrink wrapped it would leave a slight crease once in a while. The last one I did I wrapped Cling Wrap around it super tight and it worked out but it's not worth it.
One idea for every one who wants to color or tint their carbon is after the final sand and before appling final finish I have used Duplicolor Metalcast anodize paint then a clear coat. The Metal Cast is transparent and works well but only comes in 5 colors. Just an idea!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 15, 2008 09:03PM

The shrink tubing will force the sleeve to conform to the core. The seam is of no consequence in most cases.

If it bothers you, reverse the seam by folding perpindicular to it and set a book or other heavy flat object on it until the seam disappears. This only takes a few minutes.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2008 09:54AM

i had some that did the same. I called and spoke to the guys at soller. he advised the colored sleeves can get a set from being rolled and stored flat. try not to store it so it gets the set crease, rub it down a table edge to help remove the crease, and you can put the piece on a clean piece of pipe to help take the set crease out. the colored sleeves are not as supple as the carbon and you may notice the crease if your not careful

Posted by: Wayne Hofer (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2008 12:13PM

I love the green/carbon sleeving for grips I put on my forest green blanks and the American Tackle windowed reel seats with green carbon inserts. To minimize the seam on the finished blank I do what Timberlake describes and even tug and pull on the sleeve fibers some along the seam to pull them apart just a bit where they are compressed by the seam. I have pressed them a bit with a steam iron but not sure that does much good. I place the seam along the sides of my grip so that even if they show just a bit, they are not apparent look down on the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster