I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G. Loomis Xperience
Posted by: Brian Proffitt (---.fostergraham.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 04:39PM

Client is interested in either a 3wt or 4wt rod that is similar to the Loomis Xperience in taper and power. Loomis doesn't offer the Xperience as a blank, does anyone know if they have plans to do so in the near future? Absent that, what recommendations would folks make for a similar blank? Thanks.

Brian Proffitt

Wind Knot Fly Works, LLC
Denver, Colorado

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G. Loomis Xperience
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 04:50PM

Loomis’s plans for the future are to stop selling to the custom builder all together

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2008 04:53PM

2008 is reputed to be the last year they will be in the custom builder blank business.

The Xperience is almost certainly built on one of their regular blank series models, painted a different color.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: November 14, 2008 06:30PM

Watch Loomis go the way of the DODO.
Sad to say.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 14, 2008 06:37PM

As far as I am concerned Loomis should have thrown in the towell with their blanks a few years back....Gary , before Shimano, had the very best around then came Shimano and complete disaster....my final words are "SEE YA"

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Date: November 14, 2008 07:44PM

Loomis' finished rod sales are very strong. They're not going away, just cutting loose those endeavors which they do not feel justify being kept in the line considering the overall percentage of sales they generate. They won't be the first rod/blank company to dump rod blanks. I've been around this industry long enough to see several do it. Most notably, Fenwick in the early 1990s.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 11:51PM

Shakespeare not too long ago as well....late 90s early 2000s

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 15, 2008 09:26AM

From the discription, and price it sounds like maybe a GL3 blanked rod.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 15, 2008 07:44PM

If you look back at my post you will see that I said "BLANKS" not finished rods....Sorry to say that ever since Shimano came into the picture rod builders were "OUT"....I fully understand that Loomis {Shimano} will still be around just like Fenwick is still around and that I will not have to explain to my Loomis customers why the blanks they receive {I will not order them} are garbage. I forsee no real problems of "the over the counter Loomis rods" hurting the excellent rod builders of today with more than comparable blanks from the likes of Rouge and the Batson people, and at half the price I might add.....Like I said "SEE YA !!!!!".....Sorry Tom, I know what you think about us slamming some mfgs. but Loomis is not a sponser so maybe I will escape the "black ball" this go round and truthfully I could care less about this product and I know for a fact there are many builders out there that feel as I do.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Date: November 15, 2008 09:00PM

Just because somebody isn't a sponsor doesn't mean you can "slam" them. The rules hold for all, sponsor or not.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2008 01:01AM

There are also a lot of builders who think Loomis still makes some fine blanks! I have many repeat Loomis customers that fish for Trout, Salmon and Steelhead here in the west with my Loomis rods.

Phishin Phool

Posted by: Tom Ciannilli (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 17, 2008 09:55AM

Thanks for the heads up on Loomis getting out of the rod blank business. I am a fly fisherman and build a few rods for my own use and for friends. I really like some of the Loomis blanks, and now plan to buy a few before they are no longer available. BTW, does any one know if the GLX blank sold through dealers equivalent to the GLX Streamdance HLS?

The surprising thing to me is I would think that selling blanks would be a cash cow for a rod manufacturer, since the labor costs are a large part of the cost of building a finished rod. Selling blanks to a dealer or rod maker eliminates the labor cost and is nearly pure profit for the rod blank manufacturer. What am I missing?

Date: November 17, 2008 04:40PM

None of the rod/blank makers put any money into advertising and marketing blanks. Most don't even bother printing a blank catalog any longer.

I have had this argument with those who say something like "blanks only account for about 2% of our business so we can't justify putting money into advertising them." Of course, this is backwards - you aren't going to sell much of anything that you aren't willing to advertise. You don't advertise because something is selling - you advertise in order to sell something.

I have pointed out that if these companies put even 10% of their finished rod advertising dollars into advertising their blanks, they might just see their blank sales make up a much, much more significant portion of their overall sales.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster