I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

colour preserver
Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: November 11, 2008 06:02AM

Hi All, hope everyone is well. I am experimenting with some Pearsall's silk thread and noticed, because it is not NCP thread, that the colour of the blank bleeds right through once you put finish on. I do want the thread colour to be noticeable with finish on, but I also want to allow some of the blank to bleed through to tone the thread colour down a bit.

Do any of you more experienced builders have suggestions (ie if I only apply one coat of CP will this achieve the ends I want or is there a particular manufacturer whose CP will allow me to achieve this end?).

Thanks, as always for your advise.
Gavin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2008 06:05AM by Gavin Schar.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: colour preserver
Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: November 11, 2008 06:53AM

Hi Gavin,

you could try thinning your cp. I have done this in the past and it does create a different effect to the thread.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2008 08:40AM

No - you either completely seal the thread and maintain the color, or you don't and it turns transparent. Heavily thinned CP is mostly water, and will result in your thread holding color in some spots and bleeding through in others. I don't think you'll like the "effect."

Date: November 11, 2008 09:04AM

I am building on a green Burkheimer blank so what I may try is leave teh green thread without CP and put CP on the red tipping so that this is visible.

Best,
Gav

Date: November 11, 2008 09:23AM

If the CP wicks into the green, which is very likely, you will have a very unattractive mess. What I would suggest, is using NCP red for very thin, fine tags at the end of the guide wraps.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.org)
Date: November 11, 2008 05:23PM

Chromaseal.

Applied to the whole thing. No thinning.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.71.230.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 11, 2008 06:41PM

Listen to TOM. Regular thread with CP will hold the color . With out CP and just finish will become transluncent, and the blank color will show thought. Depending on the color. Always experiment to see if you like the color. NCP is the thread that does not need CP. It can be used with the regulal thread, so you do not have to use CP. NCP looks a little flat to me ? Metallic thread thread does also not need CP. So if you want a trasparent look but want a certain trim or thread to hold the color, you can use it. Adds a little shine.
That is why it is good to experiment ( before you put the handle and seat on.) Put you thread on and color it to see what you like.
Or a piece of scrap blank in the same color.

Date: November 11, 2008 07:05PM

Chromaseal isn't going to help you with this situation. You either seal the thread, or not. There is halfway point where the thread will bleed "just a little." You have 3 options - no CP and the thread turns transparent, use CP and hold the color, or apply it heavily thinned or haphazardly and get blotches all over your wraps.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: November 11, 2008 07:15PM

Tom is right. Either use CP or not. If you want a thread to stand out, use either NCP or matallic. ---
Or you can also put a tape under the thread and no CP Or paint under, and the color will show up thought the No CP thread. --- Many options . Experiment.

Date: November 12, 2008 09:25AM

Thanks All. Will continue to experiement!

Date: November 12, 2008 09:26AM

Thanks All. Will continue to experiement!

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.americawest.com)
Date: November 12, 2008 08:28PM

Gavin, don't forget that if you go the route of no CP and have a transparent finish, the foot of the guide is going to show. All of the testing and experimenting with the threads on scrap blanks will not show this unless you actually wrap a guide. You need to decide if you want to be able to see the guide foot in the finished product before you apply your finish. Greg.

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.americawest.com)
Date: November 12, 2008 08:29PM

Gavin, don't forget that if you go the route of no CP and have a transparent finish, the foot of the guide is going to show. All of the testing and experimenting with the threads on scrap blanks will not show this unless you actually wrap a guide. You need to decide if you want to be able to see the guide foot in the finished product before you apply your finish. Greg.

Date: November 13, 2008 06:23AM

Good point Greg. I dind't think of that. I certainly dont want the guide foot to show on this rod. In the circumstances I am going to use CP and properly coat the wraps. Are all the CP brands the same or is there one that is better? Suppose its a personal choice?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster