I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

No rear grip??
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2008 12:15PM

I have seen a few rods where the rods have been built such that there is essentially no rod length behind the reel seat. Most of these rods were built for basserrs who palmed their reels all of the time, never took their hands off the reel and didn't want anything behind the reel to get in their way.

I am just curious if anyone has built such a rod, and if so - what has been the customers long term reaction?

Especially on a bass casting rod of considerable power, it would seem that the rod would be very very very tip heavy with no rod length or butt grip behind the reel seat to balance out the rest of the rod and its associated guides, etc.

Appreciate any thought or comments on either building, seeing or using such a rod.

Thanks for your help.

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No rear grip??
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2008 12:19PM

p.s.
One of the reasons that I ask, was that a year ago, I build a very nice St. Croix Tournament bass casting rod for myself. I had ended up with a 6 inch back grip on this rod.
After using it on about 4 outings, I came to the conclusion that although I loved the rod, and its performance, I hated the lack of an offsetting back grip on the rod. So, I took off the butt tip, added 4 inches to the butt of the rod, turned down the cork, and glued the new butt cap back on the rod.

Now the rod is exactly what I want with excellent balance, and the right fit and feel for a long day of fishing.

--------
As I posted in the earlier comment, I would appreciate any other comments on rods, that - after having been built have really not worked as expected and needed a change to make them a good rod.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Roger

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 09, 2008 02:13PM

Roger I took in a couple of repairs for a Tournament Bass Fisherman the other day and he was asking me about building him a rod with a short rear grip. I was totally in the dark on this type of rod. I asked him if he was thinking about a pistol grip handle. He said no, a straight grip handle. We are to discuss it more when he picks up the repairs. I am still in the dark on what he is talking about.
I hope you get some responses from someone in the know. Is this a new trend or what ? I am like you, I cant see the functional benefits of a rod like this, too much out of balance.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2008 03:14PM

There is one advantage to a short grip rod that I am aware of and that is in a twitching rod or (jerk bait rod) as some times called.
When using this type of rod the hand is used to twitch or jerk the bait over and over again. Depending on how the angler holds his rod, (for me reel palmed).
The effect is that the rods handle repeatedly smacks the arm right behind the wrist, which over a days fishing becomes annoying to down right painful.
To eliminate this there are a few options,
Change how you twitch.
Eliminate or greatly shorten the handle.
Install the rear grim so that it is at an offset to the blank which moves the grip further away from the arm. This is my personal preference on eliminating the problem as I don’t feel comfortable with out the grip.

As far as balance with this type of retrieve the rod is used with the tip in a downward position, so having a light tip is not as important as having a little rod overall.

Posted by: jim spooner (99.194.253.---)
Date: November 09, 2008 03:40PM

Most of my rods (casting & spinning) are med/hvy and have relatively short rear grips (5-7”). For me, they offer more agility (for lack of a better word). Since I prefer rods of 5’8” to 5’10” for most of my (Bass) fishing, I don’t need as much leverage and a longer rear grip is less of a factor for balancing.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.org)
Date: November 09, 2008 04:27PM

I have a few rods with shorter grips in the 6-8" range... Like steve mentioned I use them for either topwater/jerbait rods, or my close quarters spinnerbait rod. I have a pistol grip also....nice rod. I have lately had a few guys request heavy action rods with 9" grips.....whatever is comfortable for them.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 09, 2008 06:26PM

Steve has sort of explained a "Twitch" handle to a tee of a oldie that I have from the 60's I beleive....behind the reel seat ,which is of pot metal , is a adjustable 7" cork grip that is adjustable to either the right or the left at about 20 to 30 degrees. It has a clamp down type nut where the fore grip should be so that you insert the blank into the nut collar and tighten down. A customer dropped a couple rods off for repairs and seen this
beastie and fell in love with the way it operates and said he would use it for "Twitching" and being as he is ambidexrius {spelling} could fish all day long with both hands and never get tired from the handle slapping his forearm all the time as it is angled away from his forearm. This puppy is pretty heavy from the pot metal as I see it but maybe in some ingenious way can be adapted to todays world....who knows....

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 09, 2008 07:54PM

short grips are good for the type of casting called "underhand roll". A long grip can get in the way if you do it a lot - that said, a 6"-8" grip is sufficient for jerkbaits as well and underhand roll. I can't see any benefit to have a casting rod where the reel seat has zero grip behind it.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2008 08:22PM

Fred;
I love the thought of that rod handle, Is there anyway you could post some pictures of it? Maybe even with the handle taken done I would, like to try and rebuild it with today’s materials.

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: November 09, 2008 09:12PM

A handle like this could perhaps be constructed like the swiveling joint in depth finder or antenna mounts that can be repositioned, tightened and kept from moving by the "toothed" faces of the mating surfaces. A nylon bolt and nut could be used to secure them without adding significant weight. Handle could be moved left or right depending on which hand they are being held in. Angle could be changed to match technique-shorter twitches with smaller jerk type baits or more angled to make more aggressive walking retrieves. My forearm takes a pounding when aggressively fishing a spook.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 09, 2008 09:34PM

Edit

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2008 09:37PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2008 02:05PM

Roger, if a customer wants a shorter rear grip because of technique and hand position - build it. However, be prepared for some comments at a later date - like - tip heavy, and wrist fatigue when catching numbers of 3lb plus Smallmouth . It comes with the territory.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 10, 2008 05:05PM

In my travels, I saw a rod grip much as Chris describes. It was a 'homemade custom' affair. being held in place with friction tape. The rod was a three piece with a rod, handle, then the grip. You could adjust the entire rod to make it a complete custom. JMHO C2

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.84.85.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 10, 2008 06:32PM

Just a thought, but what about some thing similar to a removable fighting butt. Threaded tube into the seat, threaded rod ( bent ) with two locking nuts - thin - onto that, then put into the seat. A strong piece of blank glued onto the threaded rod. Handle fit and glued onto that. The handle could be turned and fixed in place with the locking nuts ????

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 10, 2008 08:39PM

The setup that I saw had three sections: The first was the rod which plugged into a ferrule on the handle, The handle then plugged via ferrule into the grip. You could adjust the rod, handle or grip to suit any taste.

I always thought that different length grip sections could be plugged into the handle sections. Just a thought. C2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster