I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pink wraps?
Posted by: Wayne Hofer (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2008 01:24PM

A female friend wants vivid pink guide wraps on a forest green fly blank. What would be more vivid, nylon or silk thread with CP? Or should I consider using NCP thread in pink? Do I use different CP on silk than on nylon?

Thanks for your input.

Wayne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pink wraps?
Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: November 05, 2008 02:03PM

Check out the FishHawk silk pinks on my web site. www.scottscustomrods.com they have quite a selection. I would recommend the Chromaseal CP also. Thanks Scott Parsons

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 05, 2008 04:28PM

Try using chrome tape under the wrap area. It will make those pink wraps POP, and not darken against the dark blank.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2008 04:51PM

I've been doing a bit of testing with Silk. I'm not an authority on using it, but here is what I've found based on my testing.

I've found the brightest color of silk when I used 2 coats of CP, and a couple coats of Permaglos. One coat of CP and the Silk blotched up pretty badly when I applied PG, but not at all with threadmaster. Wrapping over silver mettalic with no CP, as Bill recommends - with Silk it still darkens quite a bit. IF you use a lighter colored silk, it will be OK, but any of the medium/dark colrs, will look extremely dark, even over silver metallic. If you decide to go that route, make sure you wrap a sample and the colors act teh way you expect them to act.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2008 06:21PM

Definitely mylar tape under the wraps as William mentioned, then at least two coats of CP. The "Rose" nylon that Pac Bay produces is a nice color.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 05, 2008 06:30PM

Ditto the silver Mylar tape and at least two coats of Chromeaseal CP....Gudebrod made a Hot Pink thread at one time , I think I have some and if you have a problem getting some of it let me know .

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 05, 2008 06:32PM

Ditto the silver Mylar tape and at least two coats of Chromeaseal CP....Gudebrod made a Hot Pink thread at one time , I think I have some and if you have a problem getting some of it let me know .

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.mclnva23.covad.net)
Date: November 05, 2008 10:10PM

We like a a bright pink NCP thread, covered with two coats of ChromaSeal, and then with a couple coats of TM.

Pink or purple rods are a very popular rod model for us.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Roger McEvoy (---.dsl.euclwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 05, 2008 10:34PM

I've done plenty of pink wraps. I prefer Gudebrod NCP which is a pale pink. Edged with metalic red or metalic fucia is very neat looking.
Roger McEvoy
mc_fishing_rods@hotmail.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.74.219.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 06, 2008 07:58AM

I have not done pink, but have done yellow with regular nylon and several wet coats of flex coat CP. Let dry overnight. Nice and bright. Try a test on the blank where the handle will go.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2008 09:09AM

Pink metallic and cut out all the other steps to preserve color

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: November 06, 2008 09:56AM

I agree with Steve, I've used the metallic fuschia with a green rod an it is stunning. This color is a metallic hot pink. Also as he stated no need for color presever.

Posted by: Wayne Hofer (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2008 10:30AM

Thanks a bunch guys. Will trial run some of these suggestions and get to work.

Posted by: Roger McEvoy (---.dsl.euclwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 07, 2008 12:36AM

Hi Wayne,
I'm in Wisconsin and my supplies come from Wild River Dist. in Marine, MN. They do have a nice selection of thread if you have any problem finding the shade of pink you prefer. As the other builders mentioned useing mylar if you go with the hot pink and cp it will keep your color from darkening. As I mentioned i've done many in pink. All of my wife's rods are done in Gudebrod NCP pink with various metalic colors for edgeing. It's always interesting to see all of the response. You never quit learning and i've been at it for over 30 years.
Good luck!
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster