I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank suggestion - I need your help
Posted by: Dirk Gärtner (---.excon.de)
Date: November 04, 2008 05:33AM

Hi everybody,

can you please be so kind to help me with your suggestions?
I am looking for a 2 pcs 8’ to 8’6” Blank preferably with a fast to med fast action.
I need a rod for fishing for European seabass ( similar to your stripers, but smaller- weight ranges mainly 3-4 lbs 8lbs would be a lucky maximum ) and Zander ( like your Walleye – just growing bigger).
Lurewise it should handle mid size med-runner Cranks, Jerk-Minnows around 4” and up to ¾ oz Jigheads with 4 -5” plastic shads in the stronger current
I plan to build it up as a multifunctional rod useable with fast baitcasters and fixed spool reels as well. On my trips I have to walk long distances on the river bank and I want to carry just one combo
Lengthwise 8’ to max. 9’ is needed because of massive stone walls along the banks and the needed longer casts.
Here in Germany I have easy access to pac bay blanks and in a limited range to batson blanks – anything else I have to import from the States.
Any suggestions (maker and mod.) from your side are highly appreciated – thank you in advance

Greetz from ice-cold Germany
Dirk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank suggestion - I need your help
Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: November 04, 2008 07:30AM

Recently built a rod for someone in England for the very same thing...

Lamiglas XMG 105 2MT

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fe.navy.mil)
Date: November 04, 2008 08:41AM

Our Japanese seabass are very similar to your European and fished similar. From shore I use 8-9' steelhead blanks, from boat I've been using 6'6" crankbait or topwater blanks, something with a fairly soft tip that the fish can't throw the lures so easily when they jump.

I don't understand... you want to use with baitcasters AND fixed spool? Do you mean spinning reels?

Date: November 04, 2008 09:01AM

@ Matt
Thank you - I will have a look on this blank specs

@) Phil,

is the japanese sea bass called "suzuki" ???

yes - i will use baitcaster or, if situation arises alternately a spinning reel - (heavy side winds etc).

It is planned to built up with EVA/ Cork combination 15" split grip handle - japanese style,
reel seat without trigger ,but locking nuts from both sides,
Guides: a combination of Fuji low riders (size 12 as starter) an low profile NGC Fuji single leg guides.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2008 10:22AM

Maybe I don't understand but it would be difficult to use the same rod for both casting/levelwind and spinning reels.

However, I started thinking (dangerous habit) that if you bought 2 blanks and configure one butt for casting reels, and the other butt for spinning reels you could have a multi-purpose rod for both situations. Tough to do in one blank though, unless you had a high frame guide as your butt guide and a little bigger than normal.

I would have suggested the steelhead blanks as well. Pac Bay and Batson's both have many choices in that range. I suspect you are fishing line in the 6lb to 10lb range for those fish?

Let us know how this works out.

Terry

Posted by: Jarmo Mutanen (---.elisa-laajakaista.fi)
Date: November 04, 2008 11:22AM

Lamiglas XSH 102 2MT might be a good choice. I use those here in Finland for 4-10lbs sea trout ( sea run brown trout ) and its ideal powervise. Has also enough backbone to hook medium sized zander. Lamiglas XMG 105 2MT has a bit too much power to my taste for under 10lbs fish, but that would be good choice for better sized Zander. And Matagi has a specific sea bass blank TR86SB-ML4.

Posted by: Dirk Gärtner (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: November 04, 2008 05:04PM

Thanks Jarmo,
I only find a 4 pcs Blank with this mod no. TR86SB-ML4 - is this the one you mean???

one of the difficulties in this special project is to find a blank with powerful enough backbone to cast and handle 3/4oz Jig Heads but nevertheless with a rather soft and sensitive tip to use it also with mid size cranks as for example Mega Bass' Cyclone MR and similar.
I am sure such blanks exists but which and where ?

the other quite difficult part is to built it up for both reel types useable.

I have the hope that if I use surf rod style low rider guides FUJI BLCAG size 12 as starter,1xsize ten and 8 each ,followed up with single leg 2x size 8 FUJI BUNAG , 3xsize 7 and 3x size 6 FUJI BLAG and a BMNAT 6 as tip top I have the best of two worlds.

I agree with you that it sounds more and more complicate, but see it like me as a more experimental challenge :-) . That's why I love rodbuilding - trying to realize a rod that you dream of ,but can't buy it off from the shelf.

sorry folks for my poor english language skills. I promise to work on it :-)

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.200.---)
Date: November 04, 2008 06:50PM

One of the lighter steelhead blanks will work just fine for what you are looking to do Dirk. With the guide choice, it would certainly help to bring the line down and then use only one size guide out to the tip. Since you will quite possibly be running a leader for the bass fishing, I would use BLAG 7's out to the tip, one size 8 BUNAG between the Low Riders and the fly guides. Size 7 tip as well.

Where you may run into a little difficulty, especially using both types of reel, is that the location of the size 12 guide for use with a spinning reel may be a little too far away from the reel seat for use with the baitcasting reel, but only the spacing, stress/load test and test casting will tell you this after you settle on a blank.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: November 04, 2008 08:25PM

Take a look at "The Worried Shrimp" site he has done a few rods as you're discribing with good results.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fe.navy.mil)
Date: November 05, 2008 12:05AM

Yep, Japanese seabass is called suzuki. Frustrating as I watched them boiling on baitfish this morning right next to my ship!

Date: November 05, 2008 11:15AM

Thank you all for your kind assistance and helpfull suggestions.

I will check the recommended Steelhead Blanks and hope to come one step closer - thank you again !!

greetz Dirk

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2008 02:03AM

Dirk,

Mark Crouse ,ex German champion,now living in U.S.A can help you.If you look at
"sponsors",left down you can see "THE ROD SHOP" (site:www.munichrodmansrodshop.com).
Mark is the owner of "THE ROD SHOP" and have very good blanks for steelhed @salmon and is very good rodbuilder to.

Viel gluck,

Jean Scurtu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster