I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping slpit grip area
Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 07:31PM

Who here wraps thread on the split grip are of bass rods, or do you just apply finish or leave it bare? Just trying to get a feel for who does what

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping slpit grip area
Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 03, 2008 08:05PM

yes.
wrapped, trimmed, marbled, bare... yes. :)

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 08:46PM

You can do what ever you like. I just done a 6'6" spinning rod in the split grip.The blank was black.So for the grips I used EVA lite gray and black grain and for the guides I used the Dynaflo single foot black and silver guides.
Then I marbled in between the rear split grip and 6" ahead of the fore grip in black and sliver to match the guides.Oh yea ! I wrapped the gides with Guderob Trimar Silvertone Thread in black and silver.
I think it came out sharp looking.. You can go to the top of this page and click onto the photo page and you can see what others has done with the split grip.Good luck <<<<DON>>>>

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2008 09:34PM

Andy;
I will usually wrap a trim band at both inside edges.
Also put my hook keepers (when used) in the center between the two grips so there is a bit of wrapping, and some times my labeling. If I put the label there I will coat the whole space between grips. If not then just the trim bands and hook keeper area.

Posted by: David Wyatt (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 09:35PM

A nice tiger wrap looks good in this area followed by guide wraps of the matching colors.

Dave

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2008 09:36PM

The space lends itself to the artist ... minimalist, surrealist, post-modernist and even a romanticist. It is a nice level area at the largest circumference of the blank - what a great area to express who, what, why you are. Go for whatever floats your boat. I have designed split grip rods in every form imaginable ... butt wrapped, plain, labeled, decaled, snake skinned, marbled, glittered, etc.

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: November 03, 2008 10:15PM

In an attempt to clean up some poor finish application I sanded through the finish on the area between grips and had one of those Oh #^&@!! moments. Corrected it by painting area between grips with Duplicolor metallic auto spray paint with a color that complimented the blue blank I was using and it turned out looking great. I've done so intentionally since. Adds a little bling.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.114.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 11:23PM

Do what the customer wants. If the customer doesn't care, the split grip is a great area to add a bit of personality with no negative effects.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2008 12:36AM

Yep, What ever floats your boat.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 04, 2008 01:01PM

Your initial post identified bass rods - Take a look at a nothing rod - better performance

No truer statement exists for bass fishermen's rods - "Less Can Be More"

[www.rodbuilding.org]

PS to M&M Boys (Micro Maniacs)

My number of added grams to blank is getting pretty low - secret at the moment!

Gon Fishn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2008 01:05PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 04, 2008 05:09PM

Great place to put a fish decal if you're building fish-specific rods. A little bit of simple wrapping in coordinated colors by both corks then makes a nice "frame" for the decal.

Bilgee

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 04, 2008 07:16PM

Bill, there you go again, keeping secrets.

Fess up, share, share, share. Remember?

BobbyF

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: November 04, 2008 08:14PM

Bill always fesses up-but he will tease with a few hints/dangle the carrot/leave something for the encore performance. Gets my mental wheels turning faster-what's he thought of now? He sees things in a whole new light since he got that little scale.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 05, 2008 01:59AM

Threadless micros......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster