I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Simple spiral bumper
Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 02, 2008 12:22PM

For a simple spiral bumper on a 7'bass rod is it better to use a #6 Hardloy casting guide or a #6 Hardloy fly guide. My steup is #10 casting stripper, bumper, #8 casting 180 guide and #6 fly to the tip, all Hardloy.. The fly guide holds the line a little closer to the blank, but the casting guide will be much more durable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Simple spiral bumper
Posted by: Mike Clements (---.74.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2008 12:57PM

Andy:

I've recently built 2 such rods & have used #8 fly guide with a forhan wrap. They really cast well. In fact they seem to cast better than the tradional method of wrapping a bait casting rod.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 02, 2008 01:02PM

If you are taking these rods out of a rodlocker on a bass bat without placing them in sleeves - a spiral wrap rod you need to take care and rotate the rod when removing to keep it from hitting on any internal bracing in the rodlocker. Most will just jerk the rods out and those are the guides that will recieve most of the abuse. I typically use three double foot guides until I get to bottom just do they will not get damaged when the rods are pulled out of the rodlocker. I use Fuji Alconites which are low.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2008 04:48PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 02, 2008 03:06PM

It really doesn't matter whether you use a single or double foot. At that location on the blank any weight difference won't amount to a hill of beans and if the double foot guide will be more durable for you then I'd go that way.

Remember that you can reshape the frame on the casting guide to get it nearly as low as the fly type single foot guide.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 09:20AM

I agree with Bill in the use of double footed guides until you get to the bottom of the rod for durability.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: November 05, 2008 11:26AM

I have started using 3mm micro guides for the bumper. That puts the line as close to the blank as possible, and the guide is so small that it ends up being very durable since it is less likely to get hung up in the first place. I really like how my latest system works even though it is a bit different than what many people are doing, 6mm double foot stripper, 3mm micro bumper, 5mm single foot first 180º, and 3mm micros the rest of the way including the tip.

Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 06, 2008 05:42AM

I went ahead and used the 6mm double foot bumper. thanks for all the replies

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster