I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater Travel Spinning Rod ideas
Posted by: Marc Hathaway (---.wpa.du.edu)
Date: October 31, 2008 10:57PM

Hi All,

I'm trying to build a 3 piece spinning travel rod for all around inshore use. 7' is the max over all length I'll be able to take. Does anyone have any blank recommendations? I'm thinking something around 16# line but anything in the 14# to 20# range would work. I plan on taking this with me to Costa Rica and I want to try for some snook near the mouths of the rivers as well as anything else I run across.

I would also appreciate any input on guides and reel seats.

thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater Travel Spinning Rod ideas
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2008 11:09PM

St Croix SC2 Inshore ... 2SW70MHF3. They even offer a matching case cordura covered hard case ... RC32.

Personally, I prefer Fuji seats and Fuji Alconite guides. Good values and proven technology. There are other choices, of course.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: November 01, 2008 12:30AM

Batson ISP844-3 Matte Clear 7'0" 3 8-17lb. 0.445 5.5 Moderate-Fast 1.93 oz.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2008 02:06AM

New for this year is a Lamiglas CGBT84 3M inshore travel series

CGBT 84 3M
7'
3 pc
15-30
1/2-1 1/2
9 tip
6 1/4oz
$148.00

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bill Larsen (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 01, 2008 10:43AM

Check in with Mark Crouse at the Rod Shop (sponser on the left) he has some "REAL" nice travel blanks.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2008 11:01AM

Mark Crouse (Rod Shop) has a 7 ft 4pc that would definately meet your heavier line needs for SW.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2008 11:03AM

Batson has a bunch of them in different sizes and line/lure weights. Need to know more about the reel you going to use recommend further.

Date: November 01, 2008 12:51PM

Thanks for your help.

I have a Penn 7500SS reel that I was planing on using.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (67.238.164.---)
Date: November 01, 2008 10:19PM

The Batson rod is excellent for this purpose. One of our customers had us build one and then promptly went out and took a bunch of 35lb+ 'cuda with it in open water.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.149.119.70.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2008 09:25AM

American Tackle has a whole travel line of blanks that might fit your needs, many 3pc 7ft models:
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: November 02, 2008 02:51PM

That's a monster of a reel for a snook, weights over 1 1/2 lbs. More for Trevally or something else big.

Date: November 02, 2008 04:11PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a monster of a reel for a snook, weights
> over 1 1/2 lbs. More for Trevally or something
> else big.

It is big but, it's the only saltwater sinning reel that I have. Considering I live 1,000 miles or so from the ocean I have way to much saltwater gear. The only thing that I have that is lighter would be a Penn 975 but I just don't have the finesse with that as I do with spinning tackle. I have been told that Rooster fish and few other larger fish are possible where I'll be so I really don't know what I'll run into.

I'm actually leaning more towards a rod that will handle up to 20# line and throw up to 1 1/2 oz lures.

This is the short list so far:

Lamiglas XT8425

Batson SB845-3 and ISP844-3 (anyone know what the lure weight is?)

American Tackle AT844-3

The Lamiglas looks perfect spec. wise. Am I missing anything?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: November 02, 2008 07:02PM

The Batson IC 847-3 sounds like it may also be in the hunt. It was designed to be a peacock bass blank and works very well for many other species of fish.
The Lamiglas CGBT84-3m may be the same or very similar to the 3 piece boat blanks that Lamiglas stopped making a few years ago. Sounds like it may be close to the 20 lb model the Angler's Workshop still has, it would be easy for them to find out as they are right along side the Lamiglas plant, the price on their blank would be much less than the new blank.

Date: November 02, 2008 09:57PM

Thanks Spencer. I totally missed that one. I've wanted to try the RX7 rods anyway so this might be the perfect opportunity. Any idea if it makes any difference if the IC 847-3 is used as a spinning blank vs. a casting blank? Either way I could use it since I'll be building two rods now.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 01:02AM

The blank would be fine as a spinning rod. Once you have the rod set up with the right guides as per the New Concept Guide Primer in the library. Some of the Penn reels don't work that well directing your guide/line path, I'm sure others have some advise of this and guide sizes depending on the line being used. I like the comfortable, downlocking Fuji NPS seats on spinning rods, sized depending on your hand size. I have relatively small hands, and wouldn't use less than an 18 mm seat on any rod I was building.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster