I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Multi-Piece Rods
Posted by: michael prybis (---.lightspeed.gnwdin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2008 03:09AM

I was wondering where I might find Ralph O'Quinn's RodMaker article on making multi-piece rods. Would this be the same article on Making ferrules. I would like to get a copy of this if possible without having to purchase the Volume 4 CD. I can understand if I need to buy the CD.

I am looking to extend a 4 piece 6'6" rod to make a 5 piece rod at least 7'6" to 8. I was looking at using the Batson F662-4 for this project. I am also considering to make this a spin fly combo or just a plain spinning rod. Thanks again for the help.

Mike P.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Multi-Piece Rods
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 31, 2008 12:52PM

Making Ferrules by Ralph O’Quinn – V4 #4

This issue is no longer available but I see that Raymond Adams has just listed some back issues of RodMaker on the buy/sell page. Check with him and see if he has a copy.

At some point when I get clear of other obligations, I may put that article on the online library page.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2008 12:02PM

Sounds like you are going to add a section where the reel seat will be. Why not just put on a fuji ferruled reel seat and add a short section for the handle? That is unless your rod is already built and you wanted to add a section somewhere in between the handle and the first section?

Posted by: michael prybis (---.lightspeed.gnwdin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 01, 2008 11:23PM

Thanks Tom. I went ahead and ordered the CD. I can always use the info on it sooner or latter.

Mel- I have not built the rod yet. I am still in the planning stage. I am not even sure if I am going to do this yet or not.

I love fishing UL tackle for blue gills, crappies and the occasional bass and walleye. I am mostly using jigs in the 1/64 to 1/16 size on 2 to 4 lb test on a Shimano Sedona 2500 spinning reel. I have built 2 3wt fly blanks into spinning rods. I also like fishing from a kayak and do some hiking to remote places so I would like a travel or pack rod.

Mike P.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 02, 2008 04:44PM

7 and a half feet, 5 pieces or so? Why not take a look at the 4 piece fly blanks available. Lots more to choose from there. I guess you are looking for a certain length when broken down?

You could also extend the Batson RX6 SB 720-4. Still very capable of going down to 1/16, and fun on little stuff, but plenty more grunt for when you get into a better fish. The library article on repairs gives the same basic procedure for making the ferrules. It's just the outer sleeve, no inner sleeve, and glued to the tip most section only. A bit more measuring and fiddling to get the right fit, but it can be done very successfully.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster