I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide sizes ? newbie question
Posted by: Mike Fleshood (---.aubnin.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 09:33AM

Hello, I'm replaceing the stainless steel guide set (grooved after one year) with Fuji Hardloy guides on a 5' UL Ugly Stik Lite spinning rod. I sized the old guides and got the same size in the Hardloy, 25-16-12-8-7. I also spaced them the same as the old ones,from the tip top, 3.5", 7.5", 12.5", 19" , 27.5" . Being pretty new to this hobby does anyone see any that could improve the feel and handleing of the rod ? Would changeing from a 12 to a 10 do anything different ? Do the larger 25,16,and 12 help the line flow better than say 20,16,and 10 ? With the reel on and line ran threw the guides, the line followed the arc of the rod very well with no sharp angles. Just looking for any advice before I finish the wraps. -Thanks, Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide sizes ? newbie question
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 10:07AM

For a short rod like that consider downsizing the first guide and not using so many different sizes of guides. Much is being learned by those who move away from traditional commercial spinning rod set upsl Take a look at this picture and see the reasons why.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.191.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 10:30AM

Mike:
Check out the Library page up and on the right. Read the New Guide Concept Primer and Static Guide Placement articals.

Posted by: James Reed (---.org)
Date: October 27, 2008 03:52PM

I struggled with this as well, you will learn that its not the ring size that really matters, but the height of the guide off the blank.

You initial guide size is usually determined by what reel is on the rod and you get it down to the smallest size practical as soon as possible.

Just as an example 25 20 16 12 10 7 tip is probably not the best setup you are usually better off going 25 16 10 7 7 7 tip

Also you might want to read about micro guides, I have really no use for them right now but I learned a LOT about guide sizes and placements by just reading the discussions (pros/cons) about micro guides.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: October 27, 2008 05:57PM

Remember there are ( 3 ) guide heights out there. Regular guides, concept I think most popular and the ( M ) guides, which I think are way to high unless you like a small ring size. The concept guides are usually the right height for the ring size. If you are using a small reel and UL light line 2-6, a 20 butt may be your best to start with. When you set them up, I always take the spool off and use the center pin to line up the guides and rings. That is just the way I do it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster