I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

scratched rod blank
Posted by: jason vandeusen (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 24, 2008 10:06PM

Hello again,

I have a 10'6" batson RX7 steelhead blank that I want to tie up before winter really gets here, anyways the blank came to me with more than a few annoying scratches on it, actually quite a few.

The blank is a gloss green model.

How can I get the scratches out of the finish safely?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: scratched rod blank
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.5.63.69.dyn.southslope.net)
Date: October 24, 2008 10:09PM

Batson are very good people. Call them and get it replaced.

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.americawest.com)
Date: October 24, 2008 10:45PM

Jason, I'm assuming you got the blank from other than Batson or a rodbuilding supplier or you would have sent it back, so, try some automotive polishing compound on one of the scratches a see if it will polish out to something you can live with. I've polished out some scratches on my trucks and cars that came out without being able to tell they had been there. All of this is assuming the scratches are not all of the way through the paint, in which case you would have to touch them up somehow.

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2008 07:20AM

Jason , the best and easiest way I have found is to use a product called Gudebrod Rod Restorer . It comes in a 1oz bottle and you just brush it on the scratch and let dry . I have used on some pretty good scratches with good results . We do carry it ,but it is not on our web site

Robert

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2008 08:43AM

Car Polish is a good short term fix, so is pledge ( gotta be pledge, there is no substitute) but it only lasts a few days, car polish will last longer. However if they say that rod restorer works, it is as cheap as a bottle of car polish.........Probably last way longer.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 25, 2008 12:34PM

Have you checked with the suppplier about it.? Also like the above have said the Batsons are top shelf.

Posted by: jason vandeusen (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 26, 2008 12:16AM

It's mostly my fault. The blank was ordered during winter while I was away at college, by the time I was out in spring it was too late to send the blank back. And yes the rod was ordered through a distributor and not from batson directly.

what about wet sanding the whole blank with 1200 grit sandpaper?

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 09:26AM

Don't try sanding the whole blank or you could ruin it. I have a scratch on me T&T rod and the factory told me to cover the scratch with Flexcoat. However, in your case it sounds like multiple scratches.
You'll just have to learn to live with it. Perhaps you could send ti back to Baston and for a small fee they could refinish the blank for you. Bill

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.191.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 11:19AM

One thing you could do to tell if a coat of clear will cover them, is wipe the blank down with alcohole and dry well. Then wet it with Water. The water will act like clear and if you can not see the scratches when wet, a clear coat will fix.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster