I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winding check too big, what now?
Posted by: Eric van den Berg (---.ext.dsm-group.com)
Date: October 23, 2008 05:44AM

Hello,

I'm building a #9 flyrod and I'm about to install the metal winding check. I asked the shop where I ordered my things to size the winding check for me but it's internal diameter is a bit too big (about 1-1.5 mm). That is, I don't think a wrap above it will hold it in place before finishing it. Is this a problem and should I order a new one? If not, how can I best solve this, glue it in place with a drop of epoxy? Make a small wrap underneath and then glue it in place with epoxy?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winding check too big, what now?
Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.americawest.com)
Date: October 23, 2008 06:14AM

Eric, if the winding check will not look out of place against the grip due to the oversize you can wrap the blank with thread to build up sufficiently to glue the check in place and build up your wrap ahead, toward the tip, to blend the butt wrap into those wraps. It might take some playing with to get a nice transition, but it can be done.

Posted by: Matt White (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2008 08:53AM

I agree with Greg. If you just do a sort of underwrap just enough until the metal fits to your liking then you can glue it in place. Then just feather your butt wrap into that wrap and no one will ever know the difference!

Matt White

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.106.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 23, 2008 10:02AM

They are only for looks ! You could just do a short thread wrap and leave it off.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2008 10:57AM

A nice fit for a winding check is pleasing to the eye. If one layer of thread won't do it - get a smaller one.
Herb

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 23, 2008 12:38PM

In my opinion the check you have is the perfect size. A tightly fitted metal winding check introduces the possibility of the check cutting into the blank if the rod flexes deeply. A friend had this happen, the root cause as assessed by the blank manager confirmed this. So I second or third the recommendation to use thread wraps under the winding check. This can be done tastefully.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2008 06:45PM

No way can you make-up 1.5mm with " A" thread.
Herb

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2008 07:04PM

Herb,
Eric will have to do some experimentation, but I don't think that 3/4mm on each side is that much to make up. It may be necessary to add two layers of thread, but I've done that a few times with no problem. On my fly rods I often use black thread wrapped back against the cork, under the nickel silver winding check. The base coat of black is then transitioned to another color 3/8" or so from the check, bridged by a ring of tinsel thread. A second wrap of black the depth of the winding check can center the winding check. I don't use color preserver so the epoxy wicks back under the winding check so you don't see the step-down from the second coat of thread. I actually like this look better because there's less risk of the epoxy lapping up over the leading edge of the winding check.

Give it a try sometime.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Ted Morgan (123.211.31.---)
Date: October 23, 2008 07:44PM

Use thicker thread for a short wrap underneath it. Try C or D. Also, a small dab of 5 minute epoxy on the back of the check, as you fit it, to hold it to the grip will allow you to centre it as best you can, then it'll be held in place as it cures. Once you butt wrap up to it and apply finish, no-one will know the difference.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 25, 2008 12:30PM

You need to get the right size winding check,IMO. I like to have a 'not quite snug fit' on top of one wrap of 'A' thread, two wraps at most. If you use a 100 grit reamer for your finish reaming you can get a good enough fit to put a trim ring there instead of a winding check. I believe this looks especially good on a light fly or ultra-light spinning rod.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Eric van den Berg (---.ip.telfort.nl)
Date: October 25, 2008 02:08PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great ideas, they're really helpfull!

I'm going to experiment a bit, I'll build up a wrap underneath I think two wraps will do. If it's going to take more than two layers I think I'll buy a smaller one.

Cheers,

Eric

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster