I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dryer Box ???????
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 21, 2008 03:11AM

Hello Everybody,

I'm still new that this fine art of ours and keeping seeing posts regarding "Dryer Boxes".

What are Dryer Boxes and how do some of you have your built?

What are the important key elements to have in a successful Dryer Box?

Does anybody have pics or plans for one would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need my email. I don't know why it's hidden.

Thanks,
Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dryer Box ???????
Posted by: Dave Barrett (138.239.73.---)
Date: October 21, 2008 07:07AM

It is a box in which rods are put while the finish (epoxy) cures so they are protected from dust. They have a means for rotating the rod and are often heated as well.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: October 21, 2008 07:59AM

Its just a box. Nothing special.

Mine is roughly 14" x 14" x 96". I built a 14" x 96" Shaker style door for it and mounted it with piano hinge. The stiles and rails are cherry and the flat panels are polycarbonate. I put door pulls on each end and the middle so its easy to open no matter where I am.

I used a pair of 2-bulb under cabinet halogen lights in it for the heat source. In the Minnesota winters I can get my drying box up past 90° with those.

I ran my light cords and my motor cord to a timer. I can set it to turn on a couple hours before I get home and shut off well after I've gone to bed.

I also use my drying box to push any epoxy I'm using. Grips glued up with Rod Bond, etc. With an extra 20° or more of temp, epoxy cures much quicker.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.86.213.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 21, 2008 08:32AM

OOPs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2008 10:46AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2008 09:08AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]
I know there is also another on the photo page, but I could not find it

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.158.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2008 10:21AM

Mine is quite similar to Matts. I use a single 100w light bulb an a couple 80mm pc fans for air circulation. My box will get up to around 85degrees here in florida. IT IS NOT WINTER TESTED yet.

14" x 14" x 8' is pretty large. Mine is 15"x10"x108" so hes not too far off. I only have 2 dryers in it, but it does what I need it to.

My motors are on the wall in the box and I do a lot of bottom rods and every once in a while someone wants a 9' rod. For this reason I have an collapsable door on the far end of my box. When that is open, I don't run the "heater" but it still keeps the dust out.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.225.237.216.in-addr.arpa)
Date: October 21, 2008 10:41AM

I made a dryer box a few years back but only used it once or twice. Unless you work in a very cold place where you need to regulate the temperature while you are finishing, a drying box is really not needed.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: October 21, 2008 11:04AM

Wouldn't using a dryer box pay off over time in the winter? Cheaper to power a couple light bulbs than keep the whole room temp at 75 - 80 degrees.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2008 11:27AM

Its cheaper for a couple of light bulbs, but it is sure nice and cozy to come down to a 80 degree room in the middle of winter.
If you have a separate room for your rod building, and if you do NO dust intensive things in it - like handle work or turning, dust is normally not an issue.
If so, you can just use a space heater in the room for the times that you are drying rods and it will work out fine.

However, if you are working in a large space and or with no separation from the rest of the house or shop, and or if you do dusty work in a nearby space - then a drying box makes lots and lots of sense.

Take care
Roger

Note:
Lots of folks mount dryer boxes at ceiling level to make use of the normal warmer temperatures near the ceiling as well as keeping the drying box out of the general space.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.158.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2008 12:54PM

I do all my work outside, hence the necessity for a drying box. I can at least then control the conditions within the box as necessary. There are simply too many variables in outside air not to.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 21, 2008 02:09PM

Tony,

Replied to your email through BD. Not sure if you got the photo, so I posted it here ---> [www.rodbuilding.org]

No "plans" involved, I just started cutting & fastening...

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 11:20PM

Yup, Gonna have to woop me up one o'them. YES!!!! New Project!!! I love building and engineering stuff, and I have a tendancy to go a little overboard, my wife gets a little bent usually, but you guys probably understand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster