I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Great Lakes steelhead rod
Posted by: David McDonough (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2008 02:41AM

I'd appreciate some advice on a rod to build for for Great Lakes steelhead.

I'd like a single rod to handle drift fishing (usually with spawn sacks) from the shore of Great Lakes tributatries and casting spoons and spinners good distances at the river mouths. This rod will probably also get a trip to Alaska chasing silvers.

I figure on using a spinning reel loaded with 10lb mono, maybe 12, and a spare spool of 20lb Power Pro, and casting spoons to max 3/4 oz.

I'm a novice on steelhead and won't get to fish for them often, so I'd like a rod that although not perfect for all circumstances is at least versatile.

I'm thinking of using Batson's IST1084F (9 ft 8-12 lb line) or maybe IST1143F (9 ft 6in 8-12 lb line)

Any advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Great Lakes steelhead rod
Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 19, 2008 10:33AM

not sure you will find a happy medium here. (both for casting and drifting).
For drifiting floats i like a longer rod (10') and' for bottom bouncing w/ split shots. I currently just have a 8'6" st crois wild river series (MH). It is not strong enough for spoon fishing though. I'm going to do a 10'6" this winter on a batson Rx7 (haven't decided which one yet) with a michigan handle. For spoons i would almost prefer a 8 -9'' baitcasting setup for fishing the pier heads. Something with mod-fast action for good casting distance but enough power to handle the fish from 12' above the waterline.

2 very different techniques and i don't think you'd be happy with the compromise is what i'm getting at.

I'm not a big steelhead guy either though - so i could definitely be wrong. I do have a friend in Traverse City who i could pose this quest to . He is a builder himself as well as a steelhead fanatic.
I'm located near Grand Rapids - btw. Was just out on a trib nearby getting nice kings a few days ago.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 19, 2008 04:47PM

I'd look at the IST 1444F for throwing spoons or spinners that heavy. It would be a good 'Do it All" rod that would be effective for salmon also. The XST 1084F has a bit more backbone than the IST version and would work great also I think.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 19, 2008 05:16PM

I'd look at the IST 1444F for throwing spoons or spinners that heavy. It would be a good 'Do it All" rod that would be effective for salmon also. The XST 1084F has a bit more backbone than the IST version and would work great also I think.

Posted by: mark crouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 19, 2008 09:02PM

If you need a multiple Section rod check the blanks at WWW.munichrodmansrodshop.com
check the MSC blanks I had them all designed for the Erie and Great Lake fishery.
Mark Crouse
Or on the left : the Rod shop

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2008 09:06PM

Yup. I think you would be unhappy with one or the other method using one rod.

The Steelhead drift rod should be pretty sensitive and lighter than the rod you would use to throw spoons and fish for coho in Alaska. Id second Justin's suggestion for the spoon rod and this would be a good choice for throwing spinners or plugs in Alaska for Coho.

The Titanium Chrome Blanks from Rainshadow are great blanks for drift fishing. The XST1084F at 9' and rated 8-12lb line would be a great choice. The IST blanks you mentioned would be good as well and a good value for the money.

Terry

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: October 19, 2008 10:20PM

I agree with Spencer and I live and fish in Alaska and was from the GL area. The only thing I would add is the XST 1085 would be a better choice for Alaska; especially if you want to target the really big coho's and sockeyes in fast water. Just my .02

Paul

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.mclnva23.covad.net)
Date: October 19, 2008 11:10PM

David - the Batson will be a very good choice for the spawn sacks. Call Batson and see what the next level up might be for the heavier stuff.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 20, 2008 11:49AM

several people emailed me about the "michigan handle" so i thought i would post this up.
[fish.shimano.com]

that is shimano's version (clarus), which is pretty much the gist of it.
Hope this helps

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: david lourim (---.dhcp.mcw.edu)
Date: October 20, 2008 04:01PM

David,

I do this alot here in Wisconsin (steelies and browns) all year, and I am currently planning on building myself a new rod for drifting spawn sacs / yarn flies. I believe this rod would also work for casting spoons from the piers. The blank is a ST. Croix SC106MLF2. For 6-10# line, it has a 0.475 butt, 4 tip and weighs 3.4 ounces. This should do you quite nicely for your needs. With a similar setup (10-6 HMX) I pull in 15 to 20 pound browns / kings without much trouble using slip sinkers and 6 pound leaders. This new setup will not be much different in power, but will be lighter with a more sensitive tip to detect the "take".
I tend to build my rods with either a Michigan handle (size 20 graphite reel seat), or use a Tennessee grip (14-18 inches, i think) covered with X-cross shrink tubing and graphite slip rings.

Hope this helped.

Dave

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2008 10:08AM

You may want to look at this rod to see if it matches what you are looking for. 9’ 2 piece G Loomis IMX ST1084-2. I believe that most of the blank dealers stock this model.

Posted by: Max Hauke (---.l.pppool.de)
Date: November 16, 2008 10:11AM

Hello, is it possible that there will come a Batson XST 1144 next year?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster