I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

marbleing
Posted by: Brian Murray (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2008 12:11PM

Hello Everybody, I just received a marbleing kit and there are no instructions on how to use the material, or even how to apply it to get the effects that are featured in in the Rodmaker magazine. Can antone help me on this. Thanks, Brian

Tight Lines..Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: marbleing
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 18, 2008 12:14PM

Top of the page - Library

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 18, 2008 12:36PM

I'm assuming it's one of the Swifty kits. I haven't used those pigments but generally you'd just add a few drops to your epoxy until you obtain the desired shade and depth you want. I do know in talking with Tim, that you can add more than one pigment together in the epoxy to obtain the exact color you're after.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 18, 2008 02:08PM

The kit is an assortment of colored pigments which can be used for marbling but assumes that you know how to marble. If you do a search here, type in marbling and select ALL DATES, you will get a ton of info! The article in the library will get you started

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: David Teague (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 18, 2008 02:26PM

I've actually been thinking of giving marbling a whirl..everyone talks about TAP plastics for pigment...are the Swifty kits just as good? anyone tried them?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 18, 2008 02:32PM

Tim at Swifty claims that the advantage of his pigments is that adding one to the epoxy does not in any way change the properties of the epoxy itself. I can't validate this, and I'm not sure that adding a few drops of the TAP pigment really harms anything there, but this was one of the selling points that Swifty was pushing.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 18, 2008 02:48PM

I started with TAP and still mainly use them but also sometimes use Swifty as well as Testor's metallics (let Testor's settle and pour off the liquid and just use the pigment) What I like about the TAP is that it is extremely concentrated and thick, so that all it takes is a bit on the end of a toothpick! I'm still on my first bottle after quite a few years. Another option is the pigments that paint/hardware stores use to mix custom paints. Most will sell/give you a little if you provide containers. They are very intense and a little will go a long way

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2008 03:29PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2008 03:54PM

I like the Swifty pigments but the red is a little "off" or flat rather than a bright red color. Most of the other colors are great, or can be mixed to get the desired result. Haven't found a way to make the red, redder or have more of a pop.

I use the TAP version for red, swifty for the others.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster