I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrap Problems........HELP
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 02:37AM

Hello Everybody,

I keep wrapping my guides and having "Spikeys" pertruding out of my finish once I apply my finish. It happens with all of the finishes, too. I look closely before I apply the finish and I noticed it's microscopic slivers of thread. I try to remove them but they still show up. I wrap mostly freshwater rods so I'm trying to stay away from applying more than one coat of finish. I tried to alcohol torch to burn the "Spikeys" off but still get them.

Has anybody ever had this problem or knows how to get rid of them for a nice clean wrap and finish in one coat?

Thanks,
TONY

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sorry about that..............I am using Gudebrod Thread................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2008 08:48PM by Tony Ruffino.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrap Problems........HELP
Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.americawest.com)
Date: October 16, 2008 05:13AM

Tony, are you getting only a few spikes or a lot in each wrap? What means of holding your thread do you use. If you are using a thread tensioner, it could be fraying the thread somewhat while the thread is pulling through it. If you are only getting a few in each wrap, trim them flush after the first application of finish and apply a second coat and it should be smoother. Also, what size and brand of thread are you using. Is it happining with different spools, or with just one or a couple? It has been known to have a bad spool of thread show up occasionally. Look at the thread on the spool(s) you are having problems with and see if it doesn't have some hairs showing before wrapping on the rod. Greg

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 05:36AM

I agree with Greg. Tension devices that squeez the thread can be one of the causes, then if the thread gose threw some type of centering ring and the ring has a flaw in it, this can cause fraying, then there is a bad spool.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 06:14AM

Are you using color preserver? I have seen some of mine do that when I did not. Also what kind of thread are you using?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 08:10AM

Gudebrod Green Nylon? If so bad thread - many with same problem. Here is the way to check it. Cut off a piece of thread about a foot long. Hold it up against a bright background and bright light. Looks at the surface of the thread while slowly pulling tension on the thread. If you see little fibers jumping up and standing as you tension the thread you have bad stuff. Trash it!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 12:40PM

One thing I do to ALL wraps is to lightly run a flame over them before I applly finish, then you have no worrys of "bad" thread. Takes 30 seconds and it's worth it!

DR

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 01:20PM

After the guide is wrapped, take a candle, bic lighter and move it under the thread wrap. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN IT it will unwrap. A magnifying glass of some sort helps to let you see the A thread better. You will see the ends curl up when the heat hits them

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 16, 2008 01:28PM

You don't say what thread you use. Lots of sewing threads will will do just that.

Date: October 16, 2008 03:02PM

Tony does say he flames his wraps. It almost sounds like he is using a cotton or rayon thread without CP. If he is using a recommended wrapping thread, he ether has a baqd spool or his wrapping device is defective.
Good Waps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 08:57PM

Tony,
I had built many rods and had never had the "spike problem.
Then, I was building a new rod using blue thread. I had picked up a new spool of thread and had finished the wrapping.
I didn't notice any spiking until I put on the finish. Then, it was as though the thread had exploded.
I was able to salvage the rod, by using a razor blade to scrape off the "spikes". Then, another coat of finish and it came out fine.

That roll of thread went into the garbage.

My suggestion is that you are using one or more spools of bad thread.

As Tom suggested when I had my problem, is that whenever you get a new spool of thread to put it under extreme tension, and examine the thread under a high power magnifying glass. If you have good thread, you will not see - Spikes - popping up off the surface of the thread.

If you do see 'spikes" popping up off the surface of the thread - throw the thread away and don't use it for rod wrapping.

Do this with each and every spool of thread that you own, and get rid of any bad thread.

Then, whenever buying a new spool of thread, give it the tension and magnifying glass test before ever using it. Just because it is new well known thread, doesn't mean that it won't have that problem.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 17, 2008 04:22AM

I think it might be bad thread because I got a roll from @#$%& and it looks fine.

Thanks,
TONY

Date: October 17, 2008 03:39PM

I would call @#$%& an I am sure they well make some kind of adjustment.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 18, 2008 10:07PM

Bob,

@#$%& gave him the good stuf. lol

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: October 19, 2008 01:47AM

Hey Mark how is the S. CA> Rod show coming along and I hope you can make it to Woodland this year. I do owe you a tall cool one>
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster