I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need thread/finish advice
Posted by: Mike Fleshood (---.aubnin.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 08:20PM

I'm kind of new to rod building. I plan on building some ice fishing rods and a 5' ultra light rod. I have everything I need, (blanks,guides, etc.,) I want to use black thread, but not sure what size, A or C ? Regular or NCP ? I'm told A is hard to work with as a beginer. Also perma-gloss or epoxy as a finish ? I will be turning by hand so the faster drying time of PG apeals to me . Any advice would be great, Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need thread/finish advice
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 08:44PM

The size A thread is all you want for an ice rod and standard black nylon as well. Permagloss would be a fine choice, about 3-4 coats is all thats needed, but you can add more if you want.

DR

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.mclnva23.covad.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 09:51PM

"A" is no harder to work with than anything else. There are no "quick" solutions, it just takes practice. The secret is to wrap some thread on something, preferably a rod or in fact the rod you're building. If it comes out not to your liking, strip it off and do it again. Once you get it the way you like it, it'll seem easy after that.

Yeah, you can use Permagloss. But a far better bet would be Threadmaster epoxy. Or LS. Yes, you have to mi=x them, but just follow the directions, use syringes and mixing cups, and go after it. Turning by hand is fine either wayt - lots of people do that.

Anything else, please just go ahead and email me directly. And welcome here - you'll find all the help you could want if you just ask.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: October 15, 2008 11:28PM

Start with "A" thread and do a little practice. It is not hard to use.
After you have become use to the A thread the larger stuff will feel like ROPE.

Learn to use epoxy, right from the start. It is not difficult at all and you will really appreciate the result.

Turning by hand is the best way to roll the rod.

I have 2 rod lathes, but only use the lathes for long underbinds etc, I always bind the guides by hand.
I have 4 hand rolling set ups in my workshop.

You have joined a great site, lots of good people and heaps of information.

Enjoy your new hobby.
Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: October 16, 2008 02:00AM

Hi Mike,
I love Perma Gloss. It doesn't require that you to turn the rod after application, provided you're putting on a thin light coat each time. It does require mutiple coats. I usually wait 24 hours betweent the 1st and second coats, and then 2 hours between additional coats, but I live in Colorado where it is very dry. PG is activated by humidity. If you live somwhere humid, you will find that it "dries"much faster , weird, but true. I like to use it because it doesn't look like everyone else's finish. To me, it gives the wraps a "vintage" look. 3 or 4 coats are plenty strong for the wrap to outlive you, and you can still see the texture of the thread. I like that look-others prefer the smooth, glass-like appearance of epoxy. You can also apply even more layers of Perma Gloss, and get a very "liquid" effect. PG has some advantages over epoxy: it is lighter, stronger, more flexible, and clear as gin. A big downside is that it is difficult to remove if you need to replace a guide. Another negative would be the fumes-it really requires adequate ventilation.
Whichever way you go, the rods will turn out fine, and even if they are not perfect (someone has yet to build a perfect rod...), you will catch fish with them (unless you're a lousy fisherman, but then that's a topic for a different board). :-)
Have fun!
George

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.americawest.com)
Date: October 16, 2008 05:25AM

I agree with using A sized thread from the get go. The key to getting a good wrap, depending on your age is plenty of illumination and magnification. Both of these will help you get the wraps packed tight for a good finish. Black is particularly hard to see if wrapping on a black blank. Also, guide foot preparation for a nicely tapered foot to a very thin edge is important so the A size thread will start up the foot and not want to bunch up, or try to slip under the foot. Pack the thread as you go every 6 to 8 full turns until you get to where the thread will lay tight next to the previous wrap. It just takes practice. Good luck and ask any and all questions you may have. Someone in this forum will have an answer.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 16, 2008 05:41AM

Regular black nylon thread is available in A, B, C and D. One of the few colors that comes in that many different sizes. If you find it easier to handle, try B.

For your first attempt, you might take a look at the Gudebrod product which I believe is called Speed Coat. It's a water based 1-part urethane and is exceptionally easy to use. It will take multiple coats to build any depth, but can be recoated in about 30 to 45 minutes. You would only have to turn it for a few minutes - it sets up quickly.

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 06:29AM

George, is that why I can't catch a fish? I have all the best stuff though!!!

The A just takes a little longer, but your wraps will be more flush with the rod and your mistakes (if small) will not show up as bad after finish is applied. I have use Gudebrod Rod Varnish, Permagloss, flexcoat high build, and Duragloss LS supreme, all have there uses. All work well and are fairly easy. If you are starting out a highbuild epoxy is easiest to me.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 08:18AM

Your initial choice of Perma Gloss for an ultra light could not be better. Light weight, toughness, clarity and durability can be achieved using minimum A thread and Perma Gloss. Open communication on this board will provide the very best information available from many builders. The only thing that I would not do is use an NCP treated black thread - when finish is applied it looks "dooky" to me and has a purpleish tinge - really nasty!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2008 10:03AM by Bill Stevens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster