I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

UL blank for "swings flies" on cribs.... suggestions
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: October 15, 2008 12:34PM

Good morning guys,
I am looking for a specific style of blank at a reasonable price. Here is the application what it is used for.

In the summer local anglers fish deep cribs (20 to 35 feet deep) for suspended bluegills and crappies. An ant fly, tipped with a wax worm is cast out about the same number of feet from the boat as the fish are suspended from the bottom. A small split shot is on the line also. As the fly and split shot swing through the water column on a tight line the gills/crappies will pick off the fly as it goes past them. This is NOT vertical jigging. The anglers that use this technique far and away outfish the vertical jiggers. The rods that we use now are custom built on a St. Croix SCIII or SCII ultralight spin blanks. They work perfect. They load with a small split shot and fly. The angler can also see the bite in the tip and feel the bite through the reel seat. They also have enough backbone to set the hook on deep water fish. Problem is.............. most anglers that fish for panfish in this manner don't want to spend the $ for a custom rod on a St. Croix blank for this application. I need to find a blank with similar action, power, loading characteristics for a much lower price. I have tried the Batson Forecast light spin SB780 light rated for 1/16 to 5/16 ounce lures. The lure rating is about right but it is just a little on the stiff side for loading this split shot and fly for casting

Any suggestions??????????
Buzz Butters
B&B Custom Rods
Ripon, WI

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UL blank for "swings flies" on cribs.... suggestions
Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (---.r-pschools.com)
Date: October 15, 2008 12:59PM

Check out the ulrta-light and light action rods from Dorber.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2008 01:39PM

Buzz,
you might check the Lamiglas IFW78-UL

IFW78-UL 6'6 1pc 2-8 lb. 1/8-3/8 oz. .35 Butt OD 5 tip 1 3/4 oz. $27.00

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 01:47PM

Buzz,
Suprisingly enough, some of the ultra light blanks that are unsanded from Mudhole fill just such a purpose.
You sometimes have to sort through a couple to find the right one, but you can get them for less than $10.
Take care
Roger

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 01:47PM

The Forecast SB720 has more of a Mod/Fast Bass taper.

Try the Forecast SP720 you will find it more on the moderate side.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 01:49PM

Buzz, Depending on length, some of the Tiger Eye blanks we have would be well suited for this application. be happy to work with you to find the right one. Joe

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 08:58PM

Buzz (and Karry),

I am a great fan of the Batson IP840. This rod may lack the "backbone" you desire but I find this rod to be very sensitive. I fish it with 4lb test all the time. There is also a SC III that is similar and I can get at about the same price. I forgot the exact number but it has similar chacteristics. IMO a sensitve rod is more forgiving than one with a lot of backbone. If you want more details send me an email.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (97.92.190.---)
Date: October 16, 2008 09:12AM

Buzz,
In SE Asia, New Zealand and some areas of Australia, they are using a similar tactic called spin-fly. There are now dedicated blanks for this style of fishing that originated from the prawn fishing rods and the fly rods. Now they have their own blanks made for the purpose. I have tried, with success using the Seeker 7 foot 2 piece rod rated 1-4 lb test with decent success. It did better after I spiral wrapped it and used it with a Shimano Scorpion 1000 4x4. The size of fish landable with this rig is incredible, and if you can cast well with a baitcaster, the distance is pretty good too using just small flies. So far, I have only been throwing small clousers. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.177.29.241.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 11:51AM

Try the Am Tackle Matrix UL. I have a 5' one I did, rated 1/32-1/8, but I have thrown 1/4 or 5/16 oz rapalas as well.

[www.troutmagnet.com]
1/64 oz hook with a tiny jig head, and the rubber body. Throws these very nicely!! $26 at Mudhole.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster