I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

work area
Posted by: brandon edwards (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 14, 2008 09:25AM

hey guys,

i'm preparing an area in my garage to put my rod wrapper. i'm preparing to build a table to sit it on and for a general work area. here's my question to you seasoned vets- how tall should i make the work area? i mean is most of your work done standing up or sitting down?

thanks,

brandon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: work area
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 14, 2008 09:26AM

My work tables are standing height - I have an elevated stool I can use if I want to sit down. I feel this gives me the best of both worlds.

But this is really a matter of personal preference.

Posted by: brandon edwards (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 14, 2008 09:41AM

well tom, that's kind of what i expected. i own and work in a machine shop where i stand up all day and that's what i'm used to. i like working on stuff while standing but i didn't want to go ahead and build a table at standing level and then realize after i start working on my rod that i need to be sitting due to the nature of the work. your idea sounds best---standing level with a tall stool.

thanks,

brandon

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 14, 2008 10:24AM

Mine is sitting height - see the rod bench thread below. I like to sit - some like to stand - whatever works for you

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.158.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2008 10:31AM

Mine is right in between sitting and standing height with a medium height stool as I stand for decorative wraps and sit for just about everything else.

My suggestion would be build it tall first, you can always cut it shorter if needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2008 10:32AM by Sean Cheaney.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2008 11:06AM

Mine is like Seans medium height 34" to the top, with a stool

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.225.237.216.in-addr.arpa)
Date: October 14, 2008 12:12PM

Most of my assembly work is done standing up. Most of my wrapping work is done sitting down. I have two benches of different heights. If I were limited to just one, I'd make it a standing height bench and then use a high stool as mentioned for those times when I sit.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: October 14, 2008 04:58PM

My tables ar 760mm (30") and I use a gas lift office style chair on castors. Very comfortable for those long sessions.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 14, 2008 05:15PM

Just don't make them so tall that you can't reach your rod!!! (Help I've fallen and can't reach my beer.) LOL

Posted by: brandon edwards (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2008 07:57PM

lol @ tim

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2008 12:13AM

All my benches (2 fixed to the walls and 2 roll-arounds) are 44" high x 34" deep. What I did is "find" old kitchen cabinets (standard at 34" high) and build sets of wide/deep drawers on them then built the top out of chipboard which I covered with Pergo knock-off snap-fit flooring (without 'grain' embossed on it). This gives me, like Tom the option of standing or sitting on a stool to work. I opted for the wide/deep drawers because it gives me a significant amount of extra storage and I made the tops wider /deeper so that I had room behind the lathes - and I could mount drying racks on the wall and keep them from overhanging the work area. I'm glad that I put in thought and "design time" before I cut the first piece of lumber and didn't skimp to squeeze something "just O.K". into the available space. What I find is that 90+% of the time I'm better off standing because I'm going elsewhere in the shop for pieces/parts/threads/epoxies/glues and because I'm simply more comfortable standing. Another benefit of "standing room" is that up to 4 people can work in the shop simultaneously (if they are careful and considerate). I think that the photos of my shop (during / after reconstruction) may still be on the photo pages. Through layout (even drawing chalk marks on the floor in advance I was able to put in a very wide variety of equipment into a smallish area (three wrapping lathes, bench top drill press, bench top woodworking lathe, small metal lathe, bench grinder, combination belt/disc sander, bench top band saw four independently controlled motorized dryers) and still have space for lots of blanks and parts. Overall the best thing I did was to incorporate the roll-arounds because I was able to bench mount the bandsaw, metal lathe, wood lathe, drill press, grinder and belt/disc sander on opposing sides. Overhead storage for rod blanks also helped tremendously (couple of 4" x 2' long lenghts of PVC pipe fastened to the floor joists allows me to store over 100 blanks neatly - and out from underfoot or falling over in a heap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster