I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How Long is Long Enough???
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2008 02:03AM

Hello Everybody,

How do you determine the proper length of the rear handle of a split handle rod to fit a customers needs, specifically on Freshwater Bass Technique rods?
( i.e. Dropshot, Carolina Rig and etc.......)

Thanks,
TONY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How Long is Long Enough???
Posted by: joseph arvay (---.sub-75-207-13.myvzw.com)
Date: October 13, 2008 05:36AM

For me, it's a function of fulcrum (where I want it) mitigated by how much handle I can actually have without getting in the way of fishing. Arm length plays a role here, you might want to actually sort this one out in person as it depends on how they actually fish and hold a rod. I often counterbalance with a smidgen of weight, it's just not feasible to have THAT much handle behind the reel.

Careful on guessing here, too much handle on a given rod can get in the way and impede the performance of certain techniques. The seemingly small butt on a split-T can be a jacket/sleeve grabber just by it's shape alone. It's smaller, but more efficient in that negative regard. HINT...make it a smooth transition to the blank, I find a longer taper to the front of the butt helps out here. Hard edges look cool, but they grab ripstop nylons and flannel in a nasty manner especially with looser fit clothing.

My 9' rods measure 12" from the stem of the reelseat to the end of the butt. I have rather long arms and am a tall guy. Some bass rods double as carpers, so they have enough blank behind handle for rod holder use.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 13, 2008 08:50AM

There are general guide lines established for most techniques. A pistol grip on a swim bait probably would not work. Once the techniqe and blank are matched the final tuning of all custom grips should be fine tuned for the specific angler. I have one seven foot blank that is quite a good seller for finesse worm fishing and the rear split grip has varied as much as three inches. Even little things like changing hands and what kind of clothing is worn can have an effect.

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.charlotte-16rh16rt.nc.dial-access.att.net)
Date: October 13, 2008 09:06AM

The butt doesn't need to come back any farther than under your forearm or elbow at the most. The rear grip should fill the hand but no more than that.

Posted by: Pat Helton (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 13, 2008 10:40AM

I keep several rods in my shop with different length handle. I have my customer make a few cast with each different length to see which one they like best. This works for me and most people pick the same length. I do have people with special circumstances that that needs some thing radically different.
Pat

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2008 12:53AM

Tony,
Easiest is ask your customer. If they know what length they want - build it. If they are looking to you for the right length for a particular technique - get the back issues on the Revolver Rod and the split grip handle. If that isn't enough info - ask again, or just show up at the ICRBE and my "building technique specific bass rods" seminar - I'll go over the numbers and whys there.

Posted by: Gene Carriker (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: October 14, 2008 09:27PM

On another note ... does anyone know the issue/volume number for the "Revolver Rod and the Split Grip Handle" that Richard mentioned above ... went to buy it and can't find it listed in the description of the back issues. Thanks for your help. Gene

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2008 11:55PM

Gene,
The revolver rod article by Rich Forhan is in volume 4 issue 2.
which I beleive is only available on the Volume 4 CD. Print
issues only go back to Volume 5 I think.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Gene Carriker (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: October 15, 2008 12:22PM

Raymond

Thanks for the info ... will check it out

Gene

Date: October 16, 2008 05:52PM

Gene,
The Revolver Rod - V4 #2
Advantages of the Split Grip - V4 #4
Volume 4 individual issues are sold out but available on CD

If you build Bass rods - all of these articles were intended to put some space between you and factory rods - however, as you can see in stores - they read Rodmaker

The Revolver Rod by Rich Forhan - V4 #2

No-ForeGrip Casting Rods by Rich Forhan - V4 #3

Advantages of the Split Grip by Rich Forhan - V4 #4

The Forhan Locking Wrap by Rich Forhan - V4 #6

Guide Spacing Number and Selection by Rich Forhan - V5 #3

ISCAR - Fun With Rod Spine by Rich Forhan - V6 #1

Perfect Thread Epoxy by Rich Forhan - V6 #5

Bass Rod Balancing by Rich Forhan - V6 #6

The RF-lite reel seat - V8#5

The SSG-TN Spinning Handle - V9#4

Date: October 16, 2008 05:52PM

Gene,
The Revolver Rod - V4 #2
Advantages of the Split Grip - V4 #4
Volume 4 individual issues are sold out but available on CD

If you build Bass rods - all of these articles were intended to put some space between you and factory rods - however, as you can see in stores - they read Rodmaker

The Revolver Rod by Rich Forhan - V4 #2

No-ForeGrip Casting Rods by Rich Forhan - V4 #3

Advantages of the Split Grip by Rich Forhan - V4 #4

The Forhan Locking Wrap by Rich Forhan - V4 #6

Guide Spacing Number and Selection by Rich Forhan - V5 #3

ISCAR - Fun With Rod Spine by Rich Forhan - V6 #1

Perfect Thread Epoxy by Rich Forhan - V6 #5

Bass Rod Balancing by Rich Forhan - V6 #6

The RF-lite reel seat - V8#5

The SSG-TN Spinning Handle - V9#4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster