I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Water based Polyurethane for CP?
Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.humboldt1.com)
Date: October 12, 2008 04:35PM

I found some DuraClear DS19 "Varnish" as they call it but the MSDS reads waterbase non-yellowing UV protected flexible exterior Polyurethane.

It's original intent is to overcoat paintings to keep the colors from fading out when exposed to strong lights & sunlight and I of course thought possibly it might work for rod wrapping.

I ran up a test stick on some 1/2" white PVC with several different types of thread including white, coated with the DuraClear (1 heavy coat) and then gave it a heavy coat of Flex coat Lite build finish. It took the finish well with no fisheyes so far so good.

I parked it out on the back fence where it will be subjected to direct sun all day long so we'll see how it stands up after a month or two.

I was wondering if any of you had ever tried something like this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Water based Polyurethane for CP?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2008 05:22PM

I did it with Miniwax Polycrillic. The color retention on that was pretty poor.

Posted by: Ken Bonneau (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 12, 2008 06:59PM

Hi Jan,

Great discoveries come out of experimentation. While you're in the experimentation mode, why not try an established product like Lamar ChromaSeal? I have been using it of late and I find it's color retension properies to be A+. 1 fl oz @ $3.85 can seal a lot of thread work. Just a suggestion......

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 12, 2008 07:46PM

Jan,
The test on white PVC won't really tell you anything about it's value as CP. The purpose of CP is to maitain the spool color as much as possible (especially over a dark blank) rather than protect against U/V. Putting finish over thread will darken to the point of making the thread translucent. If that is the look that you want, don't use CP at all. If you want to maintain the spool color of the thread, use CP. To do a valid test, wrap various color threads over a pc of PVC that has been painted blak

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 12, 2008 08:10PM

A couple years ago Dan Craft sent me a small bottle of water based poly that he used, it appeared to work as well as the 3 CPs I've tried, never have got around to asking what it was yet.

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.humboldt1.com)
Date: October 12, 2008 08:33PM

Ken, I am currently using the ChromaSeal and like it so far. :)

Mike, the reason I used the PVC is being white it will show yellowing quicker if it decided to yellow out. I'll do a test wrap on black here soon too.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.org)
Date: October 13, 2008 04:59PM

Why bother? Just use Chromaseal, or 811 cut 30% with denatured alcohol.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: robert schuler (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 13, 2008 09:45PM

For years I have used plain old clear model airplane dope which is a lacquer. It dries clear in 5 minutes I use 3 coats then apply epoxy. Polyureathane seems to give a slight yellow cast. Lately I have been using a lacquer called Deft which is similar to aircraft dope... Bob.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster