I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

looking for a loomis blank
Posted by: David Page (---.238.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 12, 2008 10:30PM

I'm pretty sure I've been asked to find something that doesn't exist. I had a guy asked me if i could get a loomis mossyback blank and I can't find it anywhere, not even on their site(which is why I said I think it doesn't exist). I actually can't even find anything that would lead me to believe that they sell the mossyback blanks. So I'm here as a last resort to see if I just have no idea how to search the internet. The rod is SWBR904C. Sorry for the redunancy, just exhausting all the options before I call him back.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: looking for a loomis blank
Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.240.31.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 12, 2008 10:34PM

I'm no expert on Loomis, but it seems there are more and more rods for which they don't sell the blank. I just came up against that yesterday, and had to switch to another brand of blank.

Posted by: David Page (---.238.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 12, 2008 10:41PM

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured i would wind up having to try to do too. So I guess I should add to the question that if the the blank isn't available to buy what would be a blank that would be comparable in price, weight and action.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 12, 2008 10:46PM

The Mossyback blanks are just GL3 blanks painted a different color. I think.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2008 11:07PM

Mossyback models are NOT available as custom blanks and there is NO equivalent. Unfortunately, G Loomis has been doing this for some time and the disparity is growing larger each year. It wouldn't surprise me if they just up and quit making blanks available in the near future.

There is really no "equivalent" to the Mossyback lineup on the market. However, you may very well find something that will fit the specific technique in another manufacturer's lineup ... it might even be a better fit.

I suggest you get in touch with one of the more serious technique guys such as Bob McKamey with Custom Tackle or Bill Stevens with Swampland. There are sponsoring vendors that can help you.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 13, 2008 11:49AM

Usually the Loomis advertising refers to all task specific bass rods as.. "Our "ol' mossy back" line up: FIVE different rod categories with a total of over eighty different rods designed to cover every possible method, bait, lure and technique ... The only specific rod that is built as a production model with "back" in the name is "bronze back" which normally refers to small mouth fishing. If you can find out which rod your customer is referring to use the Contact Us feature at the [www.swamplandtackle.com] site and we will be happy to match you up with a Castaway blank that will meet your customers expectations.

Posted by: Will Dea (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2008 12:02PM

I was advised by the local GLoomis rep that the Mossyback rods are painted IMX blanks with different tapers and actions, FWIW.

I've pulled on quite a few and compared against similar model MBR rods and they are pretty close IMO but not exact. The MBR seem to be a jsut a little stiffer but that's just my observation.

As for the the SWBR904C, check will Bill for sure. But the only blank I have pulled on that is remotely close is the Batson ISWB904. It's almost a mirror image of the SWBR904C on paper but the Batson is just a touch faster.

YMMV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster