I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What handle for vintage shakespeare model 1810
Posted by: William Cunningham (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 10, 2008 07:55AM

I have been asked by my father to build him a rod that he can use his shakespeare model 1810 on. I have tried to research what type of handle it came with but could not find any information. The reel is a cross between a closed face and a spin reel. It has a closed face and you hold the line with your finger and snap back the handle to "open" up the reel for casting. The big problem is the reels foot is not tall, putting the reel very close to the handle.

Any suggestions?

I've only made fly rods so if you have any ideas for a blank also I would appreciat it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What handle for vintage shakespeare model 1810
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 10, 2008 11:28AM

William, the reel is generally cupped in your hand, similar to the way you fish the old Zebco's. It is for light spinning rods, so any of the lighter spinning blanks will work. If you have a light spinning rod, custom or factory, put the reel on it and see how it sits on the rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 10, 2008 12:35PM

William,
I remember them like Tim does. I only saw one older gentleman using one many years ago, and the best way I can think of for describing the grip setup on that rod was it was similar to the michigan style handle on the Cabela's Chuck and Duck rods. You'd also use the same style ceramic guides you use on you fly rods.

Posted by: William Cunningham (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 11, 2008 07:38AM

I looked at the Chuck and Duck rods and that handle looks like what I need. Now I need to figure out how to make one. I'm a fly rodder, time to go searching. Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated.

Posted by: Steve Satterfield (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 14, 2008 01:14AM

I run one and like a 8 or 10" rear grip and a 10" fore grip. The reel runs under the rod so a center pin style works good. I have one more Fenwick 12' UL left and plan to build it for my 1810 and use it here in Washington.
Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster