I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Beginner
Posted by: Jared Thirlwell (---.fitzg1.qld.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 10, 2008 04:02AM

What recommendations would you make to a person starting out. Is their any good blanks that are reasonably priced or kits I can buy and does nayone have any pics of a home made lathe, that can bind and dry a rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beginner
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 10, 2008 05:22AM

See this thread: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Also, there are plans in the online library for a simple hand rod wrapper.

Posted by: Chad Rivers (---.sip.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 10, 2008 08:01AM

WARNING!!!!

Surgeon General States that Rod Building should be approached with caution due to the additive nature of this hobby. Side effects may include spending too much time on Rodbuilding.org reading post and looking at pictures, head scratching which may lead to hair loss, hand cramps and blurred vision (from staring at little tiny threads). LOL

Now you can't say you weren't warned. I am a newbie too and have resently finished building my first rod and now have all the stuff ordered for my second. Order Tom's Rodbuilding Guide Book. This will get you through the basics of putting a good rod together. I also have the Flex-Coat "How we do it" video which I got from the High Point show last year. This will show you to different approaches at rod building. One with only a basic setup and the other with a more elaborate setup. Make it a point to go to the High Point Show. This is the best place in the world for a newbie.

Good luck but again, You have been warned.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2008 12:37PM

Welcome aboard!

There a many pics of wrappers on this BBS and there are lots of articles in past publications about building manual or motorized wrappers and drying machines. Do a search on this BBS and you'll find lots of past posts and threads about these things, too, and surely some of the folks who wrote them would help you by private email if they can.

In fact, I have an old (VERY old) Clemens' manual wrapper that I can send youy pics of, if you want, but it's not a drying rig. Another thing to do is sapend just a little cash and obtain a basic drying motor and support setup through one of the sponsors on the left, or visit their web sites and see wht they offer for wrappers and dryers.

If you want, I can try to help by private email as well.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: October 10, 2008 12:40PM

Jared,

Unhide your email address and I'll send you some information. Thanks, Joe

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Jared Thirlwell (---.fitzg1.qld.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 10, 2008 10:28PM

Thanks All

Joe, my email address should now be visible

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: October 11, 2008 01:05AM

JARED,
I see by your address you are in Aus.

If you would like to email me, I would be happy to help you.

valma.fannon@bluemaxx.com.au

Happy to send you photos and any other information you ask for.

Enjoy your new hobby.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster