I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly blank recommendations please
Posted by: Chris May (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 02:33AM

I am planning to build a 4 pc, 6wt, faster action fly rod and am looking at durability as a primary concern. I am likely overly cautious when it comes to fish fighting/landing but would like all the help I can get in preventing my rods from breaking. I know that most companies will go out of their way to replace a broken rod section, but that won’t do me much good when I am out on a river.

Do any of you experts have recommendations for a blank that you have found to be exceptionally durable? Of course I want it all. . . . I would like to have as light a blank as possible, a fast action, and at a cost hopefully under $200. Those parameters are negotiable if exceptional durability is present. Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly blank recommendations please
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: October 09, 2008 08:15AM

I think you are focusing too much on durability, especially if you are a careful fish fighter, as you say. Choose the blank you want based on power and action, brand preference, # of pieces, color, etc. and if you stick with a reputable manufacturer, you should be fine. I've been fishing for almost 40 years and the couple rods I've broken had nothing to do with durability, but everything to do with my clumsiness or stupidity. No blank would have survived those particular events. It happens.

Build the rod you like and then carry a back-up rod either in your boat or canoe or back at the vehicle if you are wading. My 2 cents.

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 11:05AM

I fly fish quite a lot, and well, what steve said, nothing to add really. If you step, slam a door, close a trunk, misplace your guides, or whack something fairly hard on or with your rod, it doesn't matter what type of rod you have, it will break. Want to be over cautious, throw blank weight aside and trout fish with a nine weight. Otherwise get what you like, I always prefer light weight. I caught a 6 pound gar a week ago on a 2 1/4 oz. 8 foot 3 weight rod with a purple San Juan Worm, and it never gave any sign of over stress even while bent almost 180 degrees at times. I paid 13.00 for that blank brand new. Get whatever you like, and fish it however you fish.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 11:27AM

Even the most careful fisherman can impact a fly rod with a bead head nymph or weighted streamer. The impact can effect the integrity of the rod wall by damaging it. Depending on the amount of damage failure can occur. As a rule the higher the modulus the rod material is made from the thinner that wall can be. If you find can find the power and action you want in a rod blank built from medium modulus material it will withstand impact better than one built from high modulus material in most cases.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 12:20PM

Rainshadow® RX8 Travel Fly Rod Blanks
RX8 travel fly rod blanks are designed as the fastest action fly blanks we offer. If long casts and windy conditions are
the norm, these are the blank for you! These will punch out long casts in any conditions and still allow excellent line control.
Features: • RX8 graphite & RX7 graphite blend • “Rifle fast” blank actions for windy & long casting situations • Unsurpassed lifting
power • Slim ferrule designs for smooth power transfer • Light blank weight • Proprietary modulus positioning incorporated in the
blank design results in fast action without sacrificing strength • Matte Clear finish • Limited lifetime warranty

XF906-4
Rainshadow RX8 Travel Fly Rod

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # XF906-4 9' 4pc 6wt Fly RX8 Graphite
Butt cap: n/a
Reel Seat: RYFW-SG Forecast Window seat Alum with Gun smoke plating and Light Burl wood insert
Reel Seat Shim:
Grip: HEFRHW7CS-250/865 7" Fly Grip .250 bore/.865 Reel Seat Cutout "Super" Grade WITH CORK COMPOSITE
Winding Check: LTCWC335 Lt TitCar Pltd Winding Check .335 I.D.
Hookeeper: TCHKS Hook Keeper TiCarb Sm
Tip Top XTCFT4.5 SS316 Titanium Carbide Pltd Fly Top 4.5 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCSFGP SS316 Titanium Carbide Single Foot Fly Guide
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCLXNCG ALPS SS316-LXN Guide with Tich 'Z' ring -TiCH without chrome

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XTCSFGP3 3.625"
2nd XTCSFGP3 8"
3rd XTCSFGP3 13.25"
4th XTCSFGP3 19.5"
5th XTCSFGP4 27.27"
6th XTCSFGP4 35.75"
7th XTCSFGP4 45"
8th XTCSFGP4 54.625"
9th XTCLXNCG10 66"
10th XTCLXNCG12 78"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: John V. Holohan (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 05:43PM

Dan Craft FT906. A regular cannon with sensitivity. I rest my case.

John

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2008 07:13PM

Don't forget Lamiglas XMG blanks ... incredible value.

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: October 09, 2008 07:49PM

If durability is your ultimate concern, consider fiberglass or even bamboo, although finding a 4 piece blank might be a real challenge in either of these materials.
I would take a look some of the "value" priced graphite blanks, as these tend to have thicker walls. The more expensive blanks usually have thinner walls, and are therefore, more susceptible to damage. Keep in mind that a direct-hit with a #6 lead-weighted, bead-head stonefly will probably destroy, or, at least, cripple any blank.
I built a 5/6wt 4 piece Tiger Eye 8', and I really like the way it punches a big Grasshopper into the wind, with a 6wt line. It is also extremely accurate, but I'm not going to win any distance competitions with it. Sevier says that there 4 piece rods are faster than their 2 pc models. I've never cast one of their 2pc, so I can't comment. I do know that my rod performs wonderfully on Colorado size rivers, in very windy conditions.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.105.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 10:34PM

RX 7 graphite. Batson has a lot of 4 and 5 piece. St Croix also.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: October 10, 2008 01:02AM

I'd go with the Dan Craft FT as well.It's well under your price range,very light weight,has a nice feel with a powerful butt and fast action,and is definitely not what I would call a fragile blank.

I might recommend the 5wt blank though,at least in the 9ft models available.

It all depends on what kind of distances you plan on fishing at most of the time.The 9ft 6wt blank would be a good long distance 6wt rod,where as the 5wt rod with a 6wt line would probably be a great choice for casts that average say 30ft - 70ft.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2008 11:39AM

Tony is right-on re Dan Craft 5wt vs 6wt. I have both. The #5 is a dream with a #6 line.
Herb

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: October 11, 2008 12:41AM

CHRIS>>>>

What type of fish are you going to use it for?

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster