I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blue & gold??????? oohhhh my!
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2008 04:46PM

Being from Ohio, this sort of pains me to even think about. I am going to build a rod for a Mich. friend of mine who unfortunetly is a great U. of M. fan. Well, I am going to use a blue blank and yellow metallic thread. Do you think the thread will be dark enough to show through? I feel like it should be OK. I just hate to have a Buckeye loose to a Wolverine in any sort of manor.

GO BUCKS!!!!!

Thanks,

Bill

p.s........Mike Barkley, I know you are partial, but be honest!!!

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blue & gold??????? oohhhh my!
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: October 08, 2008 05:13PM

Bill, Don't hate me just because I work for those Maize and Blue guys. My son goes to School in the Buckeye State and I enjoy that.
Are you worried about blank showing through the thread? Why not use a CP?
I had to do a fly rod in those colors for a retireing prof. It was a black blank so I wrapped in blue and tipped in lemon yellow then CP it. I turned a blue acrylic reel seat insert and I got a hold of a tie tack with the logo and added it to the butt cap. If you really need one let me know and I can get one at lunch time some day.

Roll along Falcons

Posted by: steve stanfill (98.209.133.---)
Date: October 08, 2008 06:04PM

Bill
I think you've chosen a great color combo for that U of M fan. To keep that yellow really bright use, chrome automotive tape under the thread, It'll make that yellow really stand out. Try a small test wrap where the grip will go to be sure. It might be some consolation to think, Notre Dame as your wrapping that rod as their colors are also blue and gold. GO BLUE

Date: October 08, 2008 06:18PM

Notre Dame (another great school) is blue and gold That school in Michigan is "Maize and blue" Unless you're a Spartan then it's green and white.

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.americawest.com)
Date: October 08, 2008 06:50PM

For a good solid yellow, use NCP thread with color preserver. It will just about guarantee no blank bleed through.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2008 06:53PM

I would use the mylar tape like Steve mentioned. Also consider using B sized thread in place of A ... the added thickness helps a lot.

Date: October 08, 2008 06:54PM

Gary
I stand corrected on the statement (also blue and gold). a little confusion on the title of the thread, blue and gold and thread being used, yellow MT. I wrapped some Ice rods with the U of M theme using gudebrod lemon yellow that looked like a good match for maize. Michigan's colors are definitely Maize and blue,while that other school is green and white. Would that be the BG falcons your referring to?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 07:34PM

If you're going to do it, do it right. MAIZE and blue, and a dark blue. It is not blue and gold. I agree with those who recommend CP-there is no way this will work without using CP, and you may have to use a couple coats on the maize. By the way, maize is lighter than lemon yellow, but you may not be able to get a light enough yellow to be called maize. It will still look great. One other thing you might do, go to an Ann Arbor book store and buy a decal sticker set with a small Michigan block M, and put that on the rod, too. I expect you may be able to do a google search for Ann Arbor book stores and buy it on line from them. If you did an epoxy ramp, under wrap with maize, then put the blue M on top, it would really be classy.

Then next year, do a buckeye rod for yourself.

Mick

Date: October 08, 2008 08:23PM

Michael
I disagree with the assumption that CP alone will keep light colored threads from darkening considerably when finished on a dark colored blank, like dark blue. It's been posted here many times that some sort of light colored background must be put on the rod to give the thread a light colored background, be it silver MT underwrap, white paint or the automotive tape I mentioned. As mentioned by Mr Kirkman in one of my earlier post's(you can't paint a light color on a dark wall and expect the light color to remain light, It will darken). I've done this color combination so I've learned from experience. I tryed to show bill some respect that he had found a gold that closely resembles maize and not question him on his choice. Instead of knocking my choice of lemon yellow as a good match for maize, I think you should have mentioned which color you have used. At the end of the day the best way to achieve the color your looking for is to do a sample wrap on the same colored blank.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2008 08:42PM

I have actually built SCIV Inshore blanks (dark blue) with lemon yellow wraps and white trim bands ... the UM alumnus was VERY happy with the color combination. I did use mylar AND cp AND pack/burnish like crazy ... end result was smashing.

Posted by: David Teague (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 09:01PM

well that sounds like a good color combo Bill...but to be honest the best color combo I can think of is RED and BLACK...GO DAWGS!!!! I guess I'm sorta biased with the mylar tape and painting the rod blank a light color to keep the thread bight and bold and not have the blank bleed through...I've never had to to do it...though I DO use a lot of metallics..at least more than nylon and maybe that has something to do with it...I will say that so far experience leads me to believe that even with metallics the type of CP that you use can determine how much the thread will darken...I've seen flex coat CP not darken some light colored thread on a black blank while another will darken it very much.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2008 12:49AM by David Teague.

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 02:17AM

all of these college themed rods sound nice. i'm sure they'll hold up to your average sized fish, but they'll break under the pressure of a real opponent.

come play in the SEC.

geaux tigers :)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 09, 2008 10:27AM

Bill, I'm no Wolverine fan!!!!!! Have you considered marbling?? That way you can get the exact color/shades that you want. I would use Gary's idea of a school pin inlaid in the but.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: October 09, 2008 11:16AM

Bill, If you want me to look for U of M decals or other swag let me know and I can run over to the book store and see what they have. If you are going to have a block "M" decal made try copperplate gothic bold as a font. it's a close match to the "M".

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 05:06PM

Steve, I'm sorry I came across as knocking-it was not my intent. I should have expressed myself better.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 09, 2008 06:16PM

Bill,

Could you do me a favor? (tongue in cheek) Could you include a note from me with that rod, and thank them for STEALING OUR COACH!!!!!!

Bill in WV

Date: October 09, 2008 07:59PM

Gary,

If you could find me one I would really aprieciate (s) it. if you send me an e-mail I will give you my telephone number.

thanks,
bill.eshelman@yahoo.com

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: October 09, 2008 08:08PM

Mike,

I`m sorry, I assumed you were a wolverine. I hope you will still send me e-mails
Bill

Everybody,
Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. This could be an extra fun rod to build. I`m not sure how to do the school pin in the butt end. Are we talking in the butt cap or on the rear grip? Would you use my regular epoxy?

Sorry to all of the Mich. fans, I really don`t dislike them except for one day a year!!

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: October 12, 2008 06:49PM

Just an update on the status of the Michigan Wolverines this weekend. University of Toledo(an Ohio team) 13 University of Michigan 10
I think their ranking is dropping faster than the stock market.
Bill, are you sure your friend wants to be seen with a maize and blue fishing rod? Ha Ha.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster