I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

restoring old bamboo
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 07, 2008 10:43PM

I received from my Father my Grandfathers old bamboo boat rods. One is a Montague heavy 6' 10 with detachable wood butt and with two guides opposite each other and a massive tip. The other is a Kingfisher and isn't quite as heavy and is a two peice with two opposite guides and a centered tip guide. The wraps are in bad shape and the metal is cruddy and needs a polish, The finish on both rods isn't very good anymore.

My question is... Are these valuable and should not be restored or better off being restored?? I want to display them with some the #49 and #149 Penns that came with them. I guess if they are to be rebuilt I will need silk thread and rod varnish to do the job right. Also guess that replacement decals are out of the question. Just not sure which way to go with these and can't find much on the web about these things.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: restoring old bamboo
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2008 08:44AM

They are not terribly valuable from a monetary standpoint. In really top notch condition, you're looking at rods that might only command $100 to $150 each.

The opposing guides are there so that the tip could be flipped over and fished on the opposite side in order to oppose any warp setting in permanently. Many fishermen these days don't understand the nature of the old wood and cane rods and that you had to fish both sides of the blank in order to prevent a bad warp from setting in.

You might find restoring them to be a fun project and you'd have your grandfather's rods, which may be worth more than money to you.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 08:54AM

These are easily restored with a little patience.

The old finish is best removed by scraping with an exacto knife or razor blade at 90 degrees. Minwax or Helmsman finishes are superior to rod varnish and regular nylon thread actually looks pretty cool on these rods. Large boat rod guides with no inserts make good replacements for rusty old originals. If the rod has started to delaminate, it's a bigger chore as you have to split out, clean and re-glue with elmers or tite bond III.

All pretty satisfying when you are done though. Looks great on the wall.

Terry

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 04:20PM

John, Good advice from both Tom and Terry. These rods are not that hard to restore and will look great when you are done. They can be fished with as well once you have them back in good shape. It would make a fun project especially since they were your grandfather's rods. If you run into problems, just ask for help. Joe

Joe Douglas

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 08, 2008 05:15PM

Thanks guys, I would never sell them. The value of them comes from having delt with furniture in the past where the value is less when restored. I will restore them then and if I have any questions I know where to ask. Thanks again

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.mclnva23.covad.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 11:55PM

John - email me directly and I'll try to help.

We get a number of these down here on the NC coast.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster