I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

pac bay chuck
Posted by: Steve Zupparo (74.4.116.---)
Date: October 07, 2008 07:29PM

Hello,
I am trying to build a rod wrapper and purchased a pac bay chuck and stand off E (crap) bay. Well it looked fine but when I set it all up it has a wobble. I replaced the metal thingy to attach it to the stand and it still wobbles just slightly. It works for wraps but I worry what it will do to finish when I apply it at 100?rpm range. Also I would think that shaping cork wouldn't be a good idea.
Do they all wobble? Can I buy just the chuck? Any other chucks that I can buy?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pac bay chuck
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 07, 2008 08:05PM

Steve do you have the plastic chuck or the metal one?

Posted by: Steve Zupparo (74.4.116.---)
Date: October 07, 2008 08:07PM

It is the metal one.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 07, 2008 09:01PM

The upgraded metal chuck and stand are worlds better than the plastic one, I've used mine for everything you mentioned with no problems. It's by no means a quality chuck by wood or metal lathe standards, but it never was advertised or priced as such. There just isn't enough metal there, among other things, to make a stable platform to dampen vibration, resist flex, etc. and turn true.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.mclnva23.covad.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 10:55PM

The PacBay "upgrade" chuck works just fine on a PacBay or similar lathe, when it it properly "bedded" with the screws aligned and the pulley wheel itself "perfectly" aligned with the motor's pulley..

What we don't know from your description is how you've mounted it - metal bed, wooden stand, or what? We don't know how it is aligned. I'm not trying to be mean, but I'll tell you that on our setup there's no noticeable vibration at any speed, unless the rod that is mounted in the chuck is off-center or is itself off balance.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Steve Zupparo (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 08:11AM

Thnks for the repleys. I have it mounted to a wood plank. I can see the chuck wobble, it almost looks like the post is slightly bent. Maybe I should just get the upgraded one and call it a day.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: October 08, 2008 11:09AM

I know I don't have the experience of most guys here but I'm really curious. Why do you apply finish at 100 rpm's? I usually apply by either hand turning a 1/4 at a time or using a 10 rpm dryer motor?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 11:18AM

Richard,
I will step in and say that I apply my finish most of the time at 100 rpm or so.
I use my same power wrapper that I power with a 1000 rpm gear drive motor to apply rod finish.
I simply use a brush and quickly get the finish on the blank, all of the guides and butt of the rod.
By using 100 rpm finish, I can finish in about 1/10th the time, than if turning at 1 or 10 rpm.

After getting all of the coating in place, I transfer to my 6 rpm drying rack. I then go over each wrap, guide, and butt wrap with heat and a magnifiying glass and a bright light.
I will examine each wrap closely for final quality, and touch up, or apply more or wick off unneeded finish while having the rod turn at 6 rpm.
Generally speaking, about 1/2 of the guides and or butt will need some touch up. But the use of the 100 rpm, to quickly sprad the finish still saves lots and lots of time during the finish phase of rod building.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: October 08, 2008 11:56AM

Thanks Rodger ........ I'll have to try that .......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster