I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with a project
Posted by: Roy Zeringue (---.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 07:24AM

I am building a rod wrapper/dryer from a Kenmore sewing machine. So far the machine is field stripped and sawed off to facilitate a 3 jaw chuck.

I need to purchase a 3 jaw chuck for the project to go any further!

The Top shaft is 1/2 inch in diameter and it has a pin hole (.157 dia or a little less than 5/32) approx .268 from the end.

If any one has any Ideas on the Chuck I would appreciate it. I have been searching the web but without any luck.

Roy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with a project
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: October 07, 2008 07:36AM

I would say get an adapter made that would fit the shaft and then have a threaded end for the chuck. I don't think you would come up with chuck itself to mount on the shaft of the motor.

Date: October 07, 2008 09:00AM

Thanks Mike

Good Idea......... The adapter should take much machinist work.

Roy

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 11:34AM

Roy,
One of my first wrappers was with the identical singer sewing machine.
The cleanest and neatest thing to do is to take your shaft to a machine shop and have them thread the shaft 1.2 X20.
Lots of chucks out there that have a 1.2 X 20 thread. You can do it yourself, but the liklihood of getting the shaft threaded straight is very small. Pay a few $$ to a machine shop and have the threads put on straight.

The other thing that you can do is to get a 1/2 inch shaft arbor. With a 1/2 inch clamp on arbor, you can get an output shaft of 1/2 20 threaded, or also 3/4 X 16 - which is another very common lathe chuck thread size.

Here is an example of a 1/2 inch threaded arbor that will clamp on the 1/2 inch shaft.
[www.grizzly.com]

Here is another arbor, with an attached 1/2 inch keyless chuck:

[www.grizzly.com]

Note:
For most rod building, the use of a 1/2 inch keyless chuck actually works better than a chuck which grips the outside of a rod handle.
During most of the phases of rod building, one doesn't have a butt cap on the rod. During all of these times, the use of a shaft wrapped with masking tape to bring the diameter up to a press fit into the inside of the blank does a great job of holding the blank. You never have issues with the blank coming loose, with the handle being marked by the chuck and never have it running out of round.

I use both style chucks, but if I don't have a butt cap on the blank, my vote goes for a keyless 1/2 inch chuck every time for rod building.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 11:43AM

Roy,
For example, here are the two wrapper motors that I am currently using on my power wrapper:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The 2nd one uses a similar 24 volt dc gear motor to drive the shaft. In this case, the shaft drives a Taig 3/4X16 chuck:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

-------------
However, as I said in my earlier post, my chuck of choice for about 80% of my building is the 1/2 inch keyless chuck. It is quick, easy, never slips and never leaves any marks on the handle.

Note:
I have added the cork liners to the chuck fingers, per notes from users on this board. The liners have grealy aided the non slipping of the chuck head as well as helping to minimize marking the handle.

Take care
Roger

Date: October 07, 2008 01:04PM

Thanks Roger...I'll order the Chuck today,
I can then take the shaft and the chuck to a Machine shop.

How large will that chuck open?

Roy

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 03:09PM

Roy how do! Please go to the My Control Center at the top of this page and use the feature of confirmaing you email address so others can contact you via email. If you do not want your email address posted click on my name at the top of this page and send me an email. I just talked to Lance about you visit to his shop. I live in South Baton Rouge and would love to have you visit to see how I have stuff set up. I should have recognized your name as being one of us when you posted but I let it just slip by. Some of the people who use the board regularly will be saddened to know that there is another official potential Swamp Boyz Member for them to deal with in the future. If you wish go to the Swamplandtackle.com site > Contact Us my phone number is listed on the site give me a call.

Bill Stevens

Date: October 08, 2008 04:22PM

Hello Bill...
Thanks for the email, it is my pleasure to read it/

I really enjoyed my trip to Swamplandtackle, Lance had some good deals available, and he sure is a pleasant fellow to deal with. He taught me a lot had had some wonderful advice for a rookie rod builder.

I would love to go visit with you, as Lance has some good things to say about you,

I already had my email address visible in "My Control Center" But Its [email protected].

roy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster