I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

14' surf rod for less than $200?
Posted by: Garreth Wolfaardt (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 05, 2008 10:58AM

Hi all, would it be possible to build a quality 14' HMG surf rod for under $200? It must have a fast action and be capable of casting 8 ounce and heavier, with a line class of 35-45 lbs. I am actually looking into getting a private label surf rod built to suit our conditions here in southern africa. Can anyone help me in this regard?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 14' surf rod for less than $200?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 05, 2008 11:46AM

I think even Ugly Sticks are $100 for a finished rod.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 05, 2008 03:06PM

Anything is possible. The blank I'd choose retails for over $200.00 and it's 13'. Billy is a bit facetious, but he's pretty accurate here, for that price you should be looking for something store bought.

Posted by: Garreth Wolfaardt (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 05, 2008 04:04PM

Ok thanks, wasnt sure. A good quality 14' hmg rod over here is about $200 so just wanted to compare.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: October 05, 2008 05:22PM

Hey Garreth,

" Hi all, would it be possible to build a quality 14' HMG surf rod for under $200? "
" Ok thanks, wasn't sure. A good quality 14' hmg rod over here is about $200 so just wanted to compare. "

I do not know a company that currently builds surf rods with HMG. I have an older Fenwick 9' surf rod built with HMG and it's heavy and has a slow action. I use it for times when I can fish for small catfish. So, I believe we have an apples to oranges case for comparisons.

In Hawaii, the labor charge to build a surf rod is generally around $100. The issue becomes, why invest $100 in labor and use lower priced components? You may be able to hit your target price by developing something in China or Korea.

I do believe that for a higher price wholesale plus shipping, you could have a quality rod (not blank) that would suit your purposes.

The rod lure ratings in the US range in value. 10 ounces in one region is 6 or 8 ounces elsewhere. It becomes a matter of doing your own evaluations.

Don

Don Becker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2008 05:34PM by Don Becker.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2008 09:02PM

You may want to consider a Uhla blank. Seeker, and others, make them.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: October 06, 2008 03:58PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You may want to consider a Uhla blank. Seeker, and
> others, make them.
>
> ............

Hi Tom,

Did you mean Ulua?

There is confusion in this area.

Surf rods can be almost anything and generally range in length from 8 to 15 feet.

Ulua rods (as named by Seeker) are 9 and 10 feet in length.

Ulua surf rods (called Ulua rods in Hawaii) are generally 13 to 15 feet in length with a small percentage as short as 12' 6"

Perhaps a Seeker rep can give us some additional information.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 06, 2008 07:19PM

Yes, bad spelling on my part.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster