I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crank Bait Long Range Survey
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 04, 2008 09:35AM

When you are in a bass boat standing and making crankbait overhead casts with a casting rod for intermediate to long range throws with a seven to seven six foot rod .... what general position is the rod in relation to the water at the end of your stroke ---- zero degrees would by horizontal and ninety degrees would be vertical. I am interested to know the position of the rod, for most, while the line is coming off the reel spool. If you make long range throws does the blank action alter the position of the rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crank Bait Long Range Survey
Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 04, 2008 10:34AM

I keep the tip pointed in the general direction of the bait. It starts about 30 degrees or so and goes to 0 as the baits approaches the water. Blank action doesn't really change anything but the release point.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: October 04, 2008 10:38AM

I owuld have to say for myself, the rod would be roughly 30 degrees up from horizontal. All my rods for crankbaits had a moderate action.

Posted by: Darrell Diskey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2008 11:56AM

Bill,

Majority of the time for med-to-long casts, my rod will end up near 30 degrees with medium to heavy power, moderate action. I find that the faster the action, the higher the angle I finish the cast. That is, with a mod-fast or fast action, I'll end up more in the 45-70 degree range at the end of the cast. The blank loads less and straightens out earlier with fast action, and feeling that, I naturally stop the forward motion of the initial thrust. Not sure if that is correct casting technique, but it's very natural for me.

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: October 04, 2008 11:58AM

Probably 30-45 degreees at release and lowering to zero as spool slows as Robert says-that to position rod for start of retrieve more than to impact distance....wind direction and speed would instinctively alter these. That launch angle of 45 degrees for greatest distance applies whether you are casting, throwing a baseball or shooting a cannon. Curious as to what theory you are working on here Bill. And as Robert says rod action and I think lure weight impact release point. Heavier lures are easier to cast straight overhead than lighter ones, IMO. I have a tendency to drop casting angle with lighter lures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2008 02:11PM by Chris Davis.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.c21hecht.com)
Date: October 04, 2008 12:17PM

Strangely enough, I seem to be the only one that throws most crankbaits with a kind of sidearm motion, making my rod perpendicular to the water almost all the way through the cast. I'm sure there are some good reasons for throwing overhead, like better positioning, but I seem to tend to throw most baits sidearm. Since I am usually in the bow, and control boat position, I am able to use this technique even if I have two in the boat. Leave it to me to be the oddball, but I can load the rod better this way, and still control the line coming off the spool.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 04, 2008 12:57PM

Fran you are not alone. I cast Crankbaits exactly like you, sidearm. I have better control and accuracy .Therefore, my rod is almost horizontal to the water all the way through the cast. Depending on the target, I may cast underhand at times if I have my 5 1/2 ft Boron rod handy. I also cast Spinner baits sidearm. I will throw Carolina rigs overhand for greater distance in deep water.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 04, 2008 08:08PM

Fran/Jay - I'm with you. I cast sidearm as well for mid/short range casts. My rod ends up dead level with the water.

If I'm power fishing, a lot of times my rod tip is already in the water and I'm turning the handle about the time the lure hits the water.

If I need distance, It's overhead and about 30 degrees.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2008 06:35AM

You can call me an odd ball too. I prefer sidearm casting. It`s not just for control although that is the major reason, my overhead always make too big of a splash whhich could be from too early of a release.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2008 12:34PM

Over hand about 30-45 degrees.
Just as the bait is about to touch down I will drop the tip to the water, if I want the bait to run deeper or leave it up to run shallower.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 05, 2008 12:40PM

The problem with side arming it is when you put three in a boat and they're all throwing 7'6" rods. All the sudden a 21' Bass Cat doesn't seem so long.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: October 06, 2008 10:27AM

I think what Bill is shooting at, by my interpretation, is:

Does the action of the blank impact the way you cast a crankbait. Basically - if you throw a Xfast action, would you hold the rod higher than if you used a Mod action. I'd further this to say does your "stroke" change if you are using a different action?

If I am right on the intent, Bill is onto something here. If you as a custom builder can look a the casting technique - "the stroke" - of your customer, could it be better to change the rod fit his/her casting style as opposed to what the "standard" is for a crankbait? Again, if they are looking for big, long casts - that is the priority and should be the primary attribute you are looking to meet.

Again another advantage for custom builds. But it comes back to listening to the customer, observation, and helping the customer select a tool.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 06, 2008 01:08PM

Ding Dong!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster