I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removal of reelseat
Posted by: Shawn Wong (---.186.12.11.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: October 01, 2008 03:29AM

Hi there,

Have got a boat rod & had since removed the guides & EVA grips.Planning to redo the rod.Would like to know if there's any ways to remove a reelseat & reuse it? Anyone with any constructive suggestions n opinions?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removal of reelseat
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: October 01, 2008 06:30AM

Hi Shawn,

I had to remove one too. What I did is take a pot of boiling water and lay the reel seat across the pot for a few minutes. be sure to turn the rod every little bit for better heat distribution. The heat will soften the epoxie and it will slide off with some help. This may take two people, one to hold the rod and the other to twist and pull the seat.

Burns can happen so use an oven mitt.

You also could use a heat gun, I hesitate to do it though as I may get too much heat to the blank.

If you will be able to re-use it depends on how clean it comes off. I will re-use mine but, only on a display rod that is not for sale.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2008 11:10AM

Shawn,
Although the boiling water and or heat gun will work on some grips.
It seems that about 3 of 4 grips that you remove this way end up being damaged in some way.
As a result, I don't take the time to try to salvage the grip any more.
I use a dremel tool to slice through the reel seat nearly all of the way to the blank - but not quite. I do this on 3 sides of the grip. Then, I put a large screw driver in the slit cut by the dremel tool - give the screw driver a twist, with a vice grip hooked to the screwdriver for added twisting power and the grip splits. Then, I use a bit of heat to soften the remaining glue and a straight edged razor blade to scrape off any remainin glue.
I will also use a band saw - running parallel to the grip to saw off the grip. Just be careful to keep the blade parallel to the blank, so that you don't have the blade touch the blank. If you get the cut close to the blank, but not touching it, you can easily use a bit of heat and a razor blade to scrape off any remaining grip and glue.

All of the afore mentioned methods work fine. It just depends on your wishes and tool supply and desires for the components.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: October 01, 2008 12:29PM

Sounds like you want the reel seat off so that you can re-install the grips. Are you also trying to re-locate it to another position? Or are you going to replace that reel seat on this rod and save it for another rod. There are other ways to replace the grips without removal of the reel seat.

Posted by: Shawn Wong (---.theta48.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: October 01, 2008 02:31PM

yes u r rite,i want the reel seat off so i can replace my grips.Wat r the alternative ways to replace grip without removing the seat?
Thanks

Posted by: Matt White (---.den1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: October 01, 2008 04:24PM

The last grip I removed I slid off upwards. I did not have to remove the reel seat but rather the guides above the grip. Heated it up and off it slid!

Matt White

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.69.32.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 01, 2008 05:55PM

Since your guides are off you can slid the foregrip on from the tip, the butt grip can be slid on from the butt. You will have to shim the front of the butt handle to take up the slack or play.

Posted by: Shawn Wong (---.theta48.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: October 01, 2008 08:57PM

Hi all,another query is that,shld i use hot water as suggested by some,while rotating the blank above the pot of water, will the high temperature damage the blank n causes it to loose it strength?

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: October 02, 2008 12:40AM

Your guides are already off so slipping on the foregrip is easy to do. Just use epoxy as a lubricant to slide it down from the tip. The rear grip is a bit harder. The first thing is to get an I.D. that is a bit smaller than the O.D. of the blank. I find it easier to butt another blank with the same or slightly smaller O.D. and use some masking tape to attach it butt to butt. Then slide the grip down from the tip of the other blank in the same manner as you did for the foregrip. A second pair of hands helps here to hold the two blanks while you slide the grip into position. Good luck.

Posted by: Shawn Wong (---.186.12.11.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: October 02, 2008 12:48AM

thanks to all for the help.i managed to get both both the seat n butt off with ease.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster