I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Do titanium guides make noise?
Posted by: Rob Whitney (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: September 30, 2008 09:17PM

Looking for some advise, Building a Sage z-axis 6110-4 zx. I want to use Titanium snake guides. I've been told they will "sing" when casting and even when retrieving. Does anyone have experience with this? Will noise carry through the line and spook fish? Am I setting my self up for disappointment?

Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do titanium guides make noise?
Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 30, 2008 09:34PM

In my experience :-
Snake guides - not really
Single foot - can vibrate during casting & under load with a fish on but not significantly when working a fly

multi- spiral Spinning guides ( two wraps of wire to form the ring ) is where the 'singing' is experienced, from the two wires in the ring vibrating together.

DenisB

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2008 10:22PM

Hard to say. I have heard such things concerning the REC Recoils, although not as much concerning titanium snakes. The combination of your particular line and guide type can indeed create a slightly noisy situation compared to almost anything running through ceramics.

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: September 30, 2008 10:27PM

Hi, Rob
Don't know about titanium Ihope they don't just built a 12 wt with them but REC recoils on a ro I just built do, very annoying.

Mike

Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2008 10:33PM

As noted by Mike above, REC Recoil snake guides do sing.

Jeff

Posted by: Wayne Hofer (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2008 11:30PM

I used the REC Recoil single foot Ti guides on a Sage Z-Axis 4 wt and yes they do sing. But I found the degree of singing really depends on the line .. how clean it is, perhaps even the brand of the line. Personally the singing doesn't bother me too much especially when the rod cast so wonderfully. But if the snakes don't sing as much I'd probably use them next time. I doubt that it disturbs the fish.. I've caught lots of spooky spring creek trout using the rod.

Wayne

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 30, 2008 11:31PM

you're talking about titanium finish snakes right? i've never heard of full titanium snakes or single foot guides for fly rods. i've used titanium finished (coated?) snakes and single foot guides from batson, pacbay and snake brand and they all make a sound. all guides make a sound. the only thing one might be concerned with are the sound (many say though i haven't used them) generated from REC's recoil guides which are a "special nickel titanium alloy".

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Wayne Hofer (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2008 03:12PM

I am using the REC Recoil RSF single foot guides and they do sing.

Posted by: gene hilton (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: October 02, 2008 12:06AM

My NiTi REC's "sing." It's not too annoying for me and definately won't spook fish. I love how light they are on lower rated rods.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.27.36.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 02, 2008 12:14AM

Rob,
They certainly do. Both single and double foot guides vibrate under load. The factory rep equated it to the vibration caused when a bow is pulled across the strings of a violin. (not quite that pleasant though).
The vibration is loudest when retreiving a fish under a tight line. Can also happen on double-haul when the line is pulled, if you put a pretty good bend in the rod.
Have tried wax ,Pam, Silicone, teflon spray nothing works.
Have suggested Recoil try a baked on teflon coating a year ago. To date still waiting.
Mostly occurs on softer coating fly lines.
If this is offensive go to a stiffer line 444 SL .

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 02, 2008 05:22PM

On my custom rods I prefer to define the sound as a "large fish attractor" and charge $ 10 extra! If they request the higher pitch for the really big ones it is $ 25 additional. If neither of these marketing concepts works tell them the sound is specially tuned as a repellant for Deer Flies, Gnats and Misquitos.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster