I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gene Bullard Passes
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2008 09:06AM

I was deeply saddened to hear of Gene Bullard's passing today. Gene was a unique individual who left a hugely significant mark on custom rod building and a deep impression on hundreds of dear friends and associates. We are all richer for having known him.

Gene's accomplishments in the rod building field loom large. Many of the products and methods we take for granted today were first brought to the craft through Gene's innovative mind and countless experiments. As a businessman, he had few equals. In many ways, his rod building component supply business set the standard for the modern component supply business. Even though it was a large enterprise, Gene personally answered nearly every sales call and provided a level of personal attention and service that remains unrivaled.

The Bullard Diamond One-Coat and later Diamond II epoxies set the standard for thread wrap coatings for many years. His CPX color preserver still retains cult status. His line of E-Z adhesives changed the course of rod building hot melt products.

Some of the earliest books and pamphlets on rod building were published by Gene. They included his own rod building wisdom which was extensive. Gene was one of the earliest rod building thread artists. Many of the instructional treatises on wrapping handed down over the years originated with Gene and were then passed down through his many employees who eventually went to work throughout the rod building and fishing industry.

Gene was also a talented fisherman and his list of fishing buddies reads like a who’s who of the fishing tackle industry. Those who didn’t know him might regard some of his tales as mere bravado or imagination. Those who did know him regard those same tales as highly fascinating fact. In many ways, Gene was larger than life.

It has been a privilege to publish Gene’s articles on rod building history these past few years in RodMaker. I have a few more as yet unpublished and will continue to print them until they run their course.

Gene was 76 years old. He will be sorely missed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gene Bullard Passes
Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2008 11:16AM

I, for one, have enjoyed Gene's articles in the magazine, Tom. My thoughts and prayers go to his family.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 30, 2008 11:32AM

Gene was an incredible man. I met him thru Jean Harrington as a fledgling rod builder in the late 60s or early 70s and was instantly impressed by his openness and willingness to help. He added greatly to this craft/industry in so many ways. Like Fran myh thoughts and prayers to his family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2008 11:33AM by James(Doc) Labanowski.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 30, 2008 11:48AM

Although I never met Gene, his prescence and contributions to the industry/craft were felt by all of us! God Bless!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 30, 2008 04:03PM

I never met Gene, but had been meaning to post a thank you to him, as I really enjoyed his articles - they were my favorite part of the getting RodMaker! My prayers go out to his family.

Marc

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 30, 2008 05:15PM

Never met Gene either, His articles were always intresting. Prayers to his family!!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2008 07:57PM

Just last night before bed I picked up an old Rodmaker with Gene`s article about catalogs. I thought to myself after reading it what a pillar he is in the rod building community. An amazing man. Sorry to hear of his passing, Prayers to his family and friends.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: September 30, 2008 08:47PM

Another great name in the rod building has left us...My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. I was one of his first customers when he opened shop...Fish on Gene !!!!! I will remember with great fondness our telephone conversations in the late sixtys and early seventys and he always threw in a fish story.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2008 08:48PM

I had a nice talk with Gene's niece this morning. She is already hearing from folks all over the Country and beyond. Gene had many good friends - people that started as his customers and employees, and rose to eventually take important positions throughout the tackle and other industries.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2008 10:15PM

Sadden to hear this. A big loss to everyone who build rods. Thanks for publishing his stories in the Magazine. Always looked forward to reading them. God Bless and our condolences to his family.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 30, 2008 10:45PM

Never had the pleasure of meeting Gene but have enjoyed many of his writings. My condolences to his family and the many many Friends that loved him.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2008 11:50PM

Enjoyed his recent articles in RodMaker..my.condolences to the family and to his good and best friends.

In what I've learned about Gene Bullard, someone I've never met....sounds like he was REALLY into rodbuilding back in the day, When he decided he needed to get out, sounds like he backed off 100% from rodbuilding and dove 100% into a second passion of Horticulture, and succeeded at that.... I find that priceless....and then in these past couple of years, contribute some of his efforts back to rodbuilding. Thank you.

Salute.....\_/

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster