I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

kingfish rod
Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (97.92.190.---)
Date: September 23, 2008 07:57PM

What is the best kingfish rod blank you have built up? I am looking to build up an arsenal and would like suggestions. Thanks in advance!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: kingfish rod
Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: September 23, 2008 09:54PM

I fish for Kingies almost exclusively through the warmer months and the best blank I have ever bought is the SEED P76 GT Blank. It has awesome power for it's diameter and is lightweight with a fast action. It is rated for 50lb braid and will cope with 12kgs or drag. They look awesome in the matte black factory finish.

They come as 7'6" but I docked the butt by 6" as I prefer 7' for a King stick. They are a two piece with the ferrule at the front of the foregrip. Butt diameter is 18.5 and 2.8 (or size 7) for the tip. The wall thickness is amazing for its slenderness. They are pricey ($450AUD) but worth it in my humble.

The other great blanks for Kingies are the GUSA dual helix SW70HP and other models around the same ratings. Another awesome blank but a little dodgy on the finish.

Trust me on the SEED.. you won't be dissappointed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2008 10:09PM by Chris Beverley.

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.riv12.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: September 23, 2008 11:02PM

Can I presume you mean yellowtail kingfish

They can be target in different environments and each of these environments is preferred by fish in different size ranges most of the time.

Throwing plastics around moored boats
Typically fish of less than 90cm length. A decent 7’ graphite blank with a line rating of 8-15kg range with alight tip for throwing ¼ - ½ oz jigheads wearing flickbaits or sluggo style lures. The rod should be built light for active casting and working the lure

Throwing lures at breaking fish in bays and headlands
Again majority of fish under 90cm but some hefty models can be mixed in with these. The light spin style mentioned above for the lighter lures can be complimented by a 7’ to 8’ blank for chucking heavier poppers and metals. Remember, in this application the fish will be very flighty so quick long casts are required. The power ability somewhere in the range of 10kg to 24kg is sufficient in most cases; more stopping power is the go fishing the headland points. Fish of around 60cm in open water are not that difficult on 2 to 5kg spin gear  and a lot of fun

Deep water
A Japanese style jigging blank in 5’4 to 6’ range is perfect to work this environment. The current and typical fish size in your regular areas would dictate the blanks jig rating and power rating to select.

Blanks
I am a big fan of American Tackle ATX/Pacific Bay PBX graphite blanks for the spin rods designed for casting and working the lighter plastic lures. Lamiglass graphite composite blanks for casting and working heavier lures. And Jigging Master blanks for jigging, hard to come by but worth it. The Hastings GUSA blanks in the 7’ to 8’ sizes that fit the casting weight and power range a re great as well but my personal preference is are the ones from the ATX/PBX range

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (97.92.190.---)
Date: September 23, 2008 11:33PM

Sorry, I meant King mackerel. My bad. Loved the other recommendations so far though!!

Posted by: Phil Richmond (124.40.47.---)
Date: September 23, 2008 11:59PM

Southern Yellowtail aka kingfish and king mackeral aka kingfish two completely seperate beasties, with two completely different styles of fishing.

My favorite blanks were all-stars, next favorite are Seekers. I like the CLB 704, although you may have to go up to a 706 if fishing around structure. I don't fish a lot of drag, the soft tips help keep the hook from ripping out of the fish's mouth. If you are on a budget, don't overlook the glass live bait blanks either.

Phil

Date: September 24, 2008 01:28AM

Sounds like a very interesting beastie as well. Does anyone have a link on more info for the king mackerel

Posted by: Phil Richmond (124.40.47.---)
Date: September 24, 2008 02:41AM

A search for king mackeral on google will probably turn up more info than you could ever read. Here's a decent story to get you started.

[www.floridasportsman.com]

Fairly similar to narrowbarred mackeral.

Phil

Date: September 24, 2008 03:09AM

Thanks for the link, thats a good article

Not familiar with that fish but apears to be very similar to our spanish mackerel

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: September 24, 2008 10:39AM

I'm with Phil, CLB 704. Rohit, they are very similar to Spanish only bigger and taste worse

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 24, 2008 12:21PM

Rod Blank Model # SWS597 SPIRAL WRAP Rainshadow 7'10"
Butt cap: EVABC20 WILL NEED TO REAM TO FIT
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: WHGRY-12 TAPE ARBOR USE WITH WBEC TO TRIM SEAT
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: TRI-AH20M-S Alps Triangle seat
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: FG500A-1.30-.4375 I like the cork fore grip but EVA is usually the choice for most.
Winding Check: BWC15
Hookeeper:
Tip Top XPPZT08R06.0
1st guide from tip top XXNZG08 Alps SS316 XN with Polished Zirconium ring
2nd guide from tip top XXNZG08
3rd guide from tip top XXNZG08
4th guide from tip top XXNZG08
5th guide from tip top: XXNZG08
6th guide from tip top: XXNZG08
7th guide from tip top: XXNZG10
8th guide from tip top: XXNZG10
9th guide from tip top: XXNZG10
10th guide from tip top: XXNZG12
11th guide from tip top: XXNZG16
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 3-6.25-9.75-13.5-18.5-24.25-30.125-36.375-42.625-49.75-57.5

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster