I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drill lathe limitation
Posted by: Rogerio de Paula (---.cpe.vivax.com.br)
Date: September 23, 2008 08:55PM

Dear Friends,

I just assembled a lathe drill "machine" with focus in shape/restore cork and EVA grips. The kit is based on a brand new hand drill rock solid fixed in a wood support and a wood tailstock with a small bearing support for the shaft.
The thing is quite rigid and during the initial testing showed strong enough. As everybody knows there is some play in those hand drill machines (chuck) even on brand new like mine. As I'm looking for good fits, nice shapes and things like that I would like to ask:
Which results I can wait from this stuff? with such play in the chuck I'm affraid about no perfect round parts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drill lathe limitation
Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: September 23, 2008 09:19PM

Rogerio.

It sounds like you've put some planning and effort into this project. Because there is some play in your drill chuck, this will transfer into your finished product, but I'm thinking the play in the chuck is probably very slight considering it's a new drill. I believe the offset in your finished product will be so slight that you will be the only one that knows it's there. It's one of those things that you as the builder will know it's there, but no one else would ever see it, including another builder.

Good luck and happy turning.

Harold

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: September 23, 2008 09:23PM

Rog-
You are fighting the same "poor man's rod building tools" battle that I fight daily. I think when turning grips on your tool if you will use the shortest "mandrel" possible your turnings will be more true. In other words, don't use 18" of mandrel to turn a 6 " grip. You may have to change the position of your bearing support to do so. There will be less wobble over shorter length and drill chuck run-out may affect you less. If your grips are much longer than that you will not have that option. If your drill is variable speed then changing speeds until you find one that produces the truest turnings would be a good idea. If that works out to be a slower speed then you will spend more time turning but you may get a better result. The more solidly that support bearing is anchored the better your results will be.

Good luck-Chris

Posted by: Mike Corby (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2008 12:48PM

If you hardware store it up, you can find all you need to render the problem fixed.

1. replacement chuck for any drill.
2. carriage bolt same thread as the chuck.
3. 2 Pillow block bearings same I.D. as the carriage bolt O.D. to support the carriage bolt

Bolt the bearings to a piece of hardwood space them as needed, its really dependent on how long the carriage bolt is. Secure the carriage bolt in the bearings and then screw the replacement chuck onto the carriage bolt.

You can cut the head of the carriage bolt off and chuck it up in your drill, or add a pulley and a motor scrapped from a sewing machine picked up at thrift store with foot control for a variable speed if you want to get uppity with it. Ive used old fan motors (they last a long time), 12 volt DC motors, junk sewing machines and drills as well.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 24, 2008 02:44PM

Maybe you would like to check out this hobby drill lathe that Mike Barkley steered me onto. It's a nice little set up for the hobby builder on a shoe string budget.

Go to google type in grizzly.com,go to wood lathes.Look for hobby lathes.
You jut might like what you see.I did. The thing about this type of lathe is it portable and you can do all your turning out side if you like and do away with the dust inside.

Good day <<<<DON>>>>

Posted by: Rogerio de Paula (---.cpe.vivax.com.br)
Date: September 24, 2008 06:46PM

Harold - I figured this in the first testing so thanks for the support.

Chris- "Go poor builders go!" - Thanks for the advice.

Mike- I'm not sure the play is in the chuck (brand new) I will try to figure out and try to fix - Thanks for the advice.

Donald - Uhhhhhhh those small wood lathes looks gorgeous! Unfortunatelly it's overseas... anyway Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster