I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Will CP prevent rod finish from sticking to the blank
Posted by: John Wiley (---.direcpc.com)
Date: September 23, 2008 11:44AM

OK Guys,
Ive got a ask the pros a question,, I was fishing with one of my rods today and notice the finish was coming uni-laminated from the blank., After thinking about this, the only thing I can come up with is that when I apply CP I run past the wraps a little to make sure I get good coverage, then when I go back over it with finish I run past the wraps about the same amount.

Do i need to modify the way I apply the CP, or is there something I'm not doing such as prepping the blank somehow? Any other suggestions?
I use flexcoat CP and flexcoat high build finish

Thanks for the help in advance..
John "puddle jumper"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Will CP prevent rod finish from sticking to the blank
Posted by: Rob Hale (---.225.237.216.in-addr.arpa)
Date: September 23, 2008 12:05PM

When I apply CP I only put it on the thread, not the blank itself. I then run the epoxy just past the thread and onto the blank about 1/8" No problems in many years of doing this.

Date: September 23, 2008 12:10PM

Thanks Rob,
I kind of feel that this was the problem,, One other question about CP can you apply to much?, I tend to apply it pretty thick in one aplicationthen let it dry about 24 hr before applying finish.
John

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.225.237.216.in-addr.arpa)
Date: September 23, 2008 12:17PM

IMO it's better to put on one thick or wet coat and let it go at that.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: September 23, 2008 03:28PM

John,

I have used Gudebrod 811 CP (no longer available), U-40 Color Lock, and Lamar's Chroma Seal. the 811 and Chroma eal have the best color retention. I always apply a first flood coat and when it is dry, I apply a second coat and allow the CP to dry for 24 hours before applying finish. I apply the CP while the rod is rotating. I then fill the tunnels along the foot of the guide with two coats of CP as well. This has worked for me for many years. Good Luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: September 23, 2008 03:50PM

I have alway run the color preserve a bit past the thread and have not had any issues with the epoxy near the ends of the wraps. In looking at the guide, where is the epoxy coming loose? Just at the ends or over the whole area of the wrap?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 23, 2008 05:01PM

The epoxy should encapsulate the wrap so you would want to extend it past the thread and any CP you have on the blank.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.mclnva23.covad.net)
Date: September 23, 2008 11:04PM

We generall y don't run the CP off the threads, but if we do, it doesn't hurt anything. We also use CP directly on the rod in our open wraps and again, no problem, as long as we do what Tom said and run the epoxy just a little bit further than where the CP stops.

The secret to the "new" 811 formulation is to cut it with 30% denatured alcohol. That will give you results similar to the "old" 811, before Trondak messed with it. It's not the best solution, because it's still not the original 811, but it's the best we could come up with while waiting for Chromaseal.

And then, of course, there's Andy's Chromaseal. That's our preferred solution.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 24, 2008 04:52AM

Russ,

Trondak doesn't make 811. Gudebrod is the supplier for 811, although it's made by someone else. However, that isn't Trondak.

Date: September 24, 2008 08:54AM

Thanks for the info guys
I think I need to tighten up on the CP so the finish covers all of it,, thats kind of what I figured but being new I wanted to mke sure there wasent something I was missing...
John..

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.org)
Date: September 24, 2008 06:32PM

Tom - well, it was late, and I messed up. If computers had sharp edges I'd have cut myself.

Apologies to Trondak, Gudebrod, and anyone else I might have inadvertantly offended. I am, if nothing else, the soul of political correctness.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster