I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Laser engraving on cork?
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: September 19, 2008 11:01AM

I build my grips from regular and burl cork on the blank and then turn the grips down on a rod lathe.. I do not build a grip on the mandrel and then transfer it to a rod. HOWEVER, I now have access to a laser engraver. Has anyone tried to put some laser engraving on cork? I am thinking regular cork may be too soft but burl cork with a couple of coats of rod finish might look cool. To fit in the machine I would have to put the grip on the mandrel, turn int down, engrave it, then ream it to fit the blank. Any feedback on your experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Buzz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Laser engraving on cork?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2008 11:57AM

I build all my grips on mandrels. Bore the rings to fit a mandrel that is just barely undersize of the blank OD where the grip will reside. This way you have only a tiny bit of taper reaming to do in order to get a good fit.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 19, 2008 12:08PM

Ray Cover would be the real person to answer your question. But from my experience the burl would possibly be to dark for any kind of design to really stand out. I have had some laser engraving done on different kinds of wood and the lighter colors show the designs better. You also might ask the person with the laser what their opinion about the cork would be, see if they can do a small sample of each kind of cork. After engraving definitely cover the cork with some kind of finish whether it be guide finish or True Oil, others can tell you what kind of finish they like on cork.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 19, 2008 03:55PM

I have a friend that tried that on a few of my preformed cork handles, it took some adjusting to get the laser right. After burning some up he did get it dialed in right and it looked ok, he just puts his name on his own handles now. But he can do it on the assembled and finished rod. I havent been to his buisness to watch him do it, I guess I should check it out.

Mike Thompson
Thompson's Custom Rods

It is impossible to make anything foolproof, because fools are so ingenious!

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 19, 2008 04:15PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence Tim,

BTW, I almost have the second installment on those reel seat instructions ready to send you.

As far as how the burl cork would laser engrave I really don't know. Probably the best thing to do would be to glue a half dozen pieces together turn them into a cylinder and try it. I don't know a lot about Laser engraving all my stuff is cut by hand but I would think that it would look good if you bottom of the laser cuts were colored somehow for contrast.

I have thought about using one of the decoy carvers burning tools to "Engrave" the cork. That would leave a burnt bottom in the "cuts". Those wood burners for decoy carvers come with some pretty fine points for detail work.

Ray

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.5.63.69.dyn.southslope.net)
Date: September 19, 2008 05:16PM

I have seen several regular cork handles laser engraved and they looked great. The guy who done it did them for himself on fly rods and his only complaint was that where he had it done is in contact with his grip on the handle. He said he would do it again but in a different location on the cork. They really did look nice.

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 20, 2008 09:24PM

My Idea is a little extra work but I think it would show up nicely. I recently took a cork grip that I had made finger and thumb grooves in to fit my hand and put four coats of birchwood casey walnut tone gun stock filler on it. After it dried I put a coat of cork sealer. It is beautiful and has held up very well so far.

That being said, If you could laser engrave it and rub one to two coats of filler in over the engraving, then let it dry, and sand the area lightly with 800 to 1000 grit sand paper, it would remove the filler from the main area of the grip around the engraving and leave it in the engraving. then coat it with sealer and it will be there for the duration. I think it would look very nice, if I had a laser engraver I would try it.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: September 22, 2008 11:14AM

Thanks to everyone. I am going to do some testing on some regular cork and burl mock ups. If they turn out decent I will try and post some photos.
Buzz

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 26, 2008 06:23PM

Have you tried anything yet? I was anxious to see your results.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster