I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt guide sizing question
Posted by: doug hart (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2008 11:05AM

I did a search and didn't find an answer so I am asking for help
I have built 5 rods 6' to 6-3". I have used the concept system for all.
The reel diameter is 4.2 mm. Use the 27x method for the stripper guide.
My question is this: Should the butt guide be a 25 or a 30?
I have used the 25 and feel like i might get more casting distance from the 30 size.
Anybody have any advise/experience to share.

Much appreciated

Doug Hart

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt guide sizing question
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 17, 2008 11:34AM

You really shouldn't need a 30, assuming this is a freshwater spinning rod. Those big rings are heavy, and add unnecessary weight, and will not improve casting at all. I would actually suggest a smaller ring on a higher frame, like the Pac Bay M style in a 20 or even 16 ring. You'll feel the weight difference, and casting is just as good if not better.

Good Luck,
Marc

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 17, 2008 11:34AM

Doug,
They way that I understand the concept system to work is that you want to have a butt guide that is approximately half the diameter of the spool. I.E. 45 mm spool I would go with a 25, the other thing you will want to consider is going to be line size. If you are going to be using something around the area of 6lb, I wouldn't think that you would really need a 25.... if you have the article you can set it up as per the instructions... they are pretty clear and simple but if you hit a snag drop a line.

thanks
Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 17, 2008 12:31PM

I'm assuming the 4.3mm was a typo and you meant 42 mm. half of that would be 21mm so I would go with a size 20 or maybr 25 butt guide. I believe that the 27x refers to the "choke" guide placement, not the butt guide

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2008 02:23PM

Doug,
Depending on your application, you can use a 20,25,30,35 or even a 40.
Use the one that simply works best for your application.
The placement of the larger guide is such that it really has very little effect on the overall feel and balance of the rods.

I have had several clients with whom I worked very closely. They both did a lot of casting - throwing large spoons, with heavy braided line.

In doing some testing and esperminting, we found the following.
By adjusting the size and position of the first guide - when reeling up the lure with no bend in the blank, - the size 30 guide was the best overall match to the rod and its potential application.
The thing that we found was that by using the size 30 guide on a steady retreive, with the typical 2500 or 3000 sized reel - the path of the line was such that as the line was retreived due to the rotation of the spool - that the line lightly touched the size 30 guide all around all of the circumference of the guide. i.e. the least amount of drag.

However, if the first guide was reduced to a size 25 or size 20 - it didn't matter where the guide was positioned, the line never followed around all of the circumference of the guide. The smaller guide always caused the line to "drag" through the guide at some point during the retreive of the lure. Thus, when either casting or retreiving, the smaller guide caused line drag, noise, and less distance, and a harder retreive for the heavy lures.

However, for clients using small lures, jigs, or for those using light line and or light mono line, or for those not doing casting, but just vertical jigging, the use of the 20 or 25 sized first guide works just fine and is preferred by many clients.

So, consider the use, the weight of the lures, the lb test of line, and whether the line is mono or braided line - before deciding on the size of the guide.

Take care
Roger

Date: September 18, 2008 08:23AM

Thanks for the replies Gentleman. This confirms what i thought that 25 is probably the right choice. Just wondered if the larger butt guide would allow the line to flow easier through the first guide on the cast. Guess that defeats the purpose of the concept system as I understand it.

Corrections
27X to Choke guide
42mm

Thanks again

Doug

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2008 05:16PM

The 27X factor, is for the choker guide, not the butt or stripping guide. You may wish to reread the article.

Date: September 19, 2008 08:37AM

I know Tom, That was a mistake in my original post.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2008 08:57AM

No problem, just wanted to make sure you had it right. At 27x, the butt guide would end up much too far from the reel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster