I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chuck ?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.5.63.69.dyn.southslope.net)
Date: September 16, 2008 04:49PM

I am purchasing a JET lathe and need to ask the you that know what chuck should I include in the order?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chuck ?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 16, 2008 05:13PM

I would get a 4 jaw chuck (make sure that it comes with jaws that will close to your smallest mandrel siz and open large enough to hold the largest stock that you will start with) It will probably require 2 different jaw sets. Also, a MT stationary drill chuck to put in the tail stock for drilling your stock (it can also be used in the headstock to hold mandrels, eliminating the need for switching jaws in you chuck. I would definately get the bed extension.

Don't hesitate to post any questions. Lot's of skilled turners here (I'm not one but if I can ever help, feel free to holler!!)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2008 05:19PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: September 16, 2008 05:14PM

Scott,
I use a Vicmarc vm100 on my headstock and a rotating tailstock chuck on my Jet with bed extension. Very happy with this setup so far.

Mike

Mike's Custom Fly Rods

Date: September 16, 2008 05:23PM

I was contemplating getting the Nova III but what insert should I get?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2008 05:26PM

I use a OneWay Talon. J.P. Timberlake recently showed me the Penn State Barracuda chuck kit he got - nice chuck with extra jaw sets and complete with case. One heck of a good value I'd say.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2008 05:41PM

What ever chuck you get make sure you get a set of pin jaws. They will close the smallest.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 16, 2008 05:43PM

I assume the lathe comes with a live center for the tailstock. Now spend the extra thirty bucks or so and get a Jacobs Chuck for the tailstock. Morse Taper #2 I think. This will come in handy for holding drill bits if you want to bore caps, arbors, seat inserts and that type of stuff.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: September 16, 2008 06:16PM

Sorry double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2008 06:17PM by mark blabaum.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: September 16, 2008 06:16PM

Scott, I have a Nova Midi chuck that works fine, but if I were to do it all over again I would buy the Barracuda from Penn State Industries [www.pennstateind.com] it's almost the same price as the Nova, but comes with the extra jaws. The pin jaws would be worth the price by itself. Mark

Date: September 16, 2008 10:05PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. Sorry it took so long but I had to go watch my sons first 7th grade football game. I will go with Marks and Toms opinion and order the Baracuda from Penn State. Thanks guys!

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.wizone.ca)
Date: September 16, 2008 10:25PM

I have a standard 3 jaw self centering chuck, a mini 3 jaw self centering chuck, and I recently added a Nova 4 jaw self centering. Let me cast a dissenting opinion on the Nova. I don't like it much at all. I get the most use out of the standard 6" 3 jaw, but you do have to watch your fingers. but it works well for turning inserts and drilling inserts, I drillo cork rings with it, and I hold a mandrel or sometimes the end of a blank in it for turning. cost wise, a 3 jaw will run about 80 to 100, the mini which works very well for light stuff is about 60, and the Nova is 200 plus you still have to buy the pin jaws (and my Nova wobbles). I use it for turning bowls with the recess, but I have had bowls come out. I was actually considering a Nova lathe until I got that chuck, but now I will look for a company that makes round things round..
and of course you need a drill chuck and arbor for the tailstock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2008 10:28PM by Bill Moschler.

Date: September 16, 2008 10:46PM

Thanks Bill for the reply.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.c21hecht.com)
Date: September 17, 2008 10:38AM

Tom, did you say that there would be someone at the ICRBE next February that deals in lathes and turning accessories?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2008 10:46AM

Yes, Klingspor's WoodWorking Shop.

WoodCraft may also be there again. They are currently undergoing a change in ownership.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster