I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Keeping your rod lath clean
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 13, 2008 04:49PM

If you have a Batson, RodSmith or a PacBay rod lath and want it to still looking like new. Here is what I do. I cover the center of the track with aluminum foil and put paraffin wax on the thread screws that hold the tracks together. I also tape over the joints. By doing this my RodSmith almost looks new. The foil catches all the finishes that fall off on to the track. Also when I use the lath to turn cork I place a sheet of foil under the area that I well be sanding on top of the foil I place some double sided tape the tape well catch a lot of the fine cork dust. So when it is time to clean up. I just remove the foil and presto the rod turner is clean and all I have to do is replace the foil. I hope this helps.
Good Wraps Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Keeping your rod lath clean
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 13, 2008 04:59PM

Good information, Bob.

Here's another tip - use Johnson's paste wax to clean/wax your lathe bed and accessories. No, it won't cause fisheyes and it makes the removal of any adhesive or finish you get on your lathe quite easy.

For Renzetti and old Clemens lathe users, put a single piece of masking tape along the bottom of each rod support, fore and aft where they contact the lathe bed. Once the lathe bed has been waxed, the tape on the bottom on the supports makes them slide along smooth as silk and prevents any gouging or scratching of the bed or support bottoms should debris get between them.

Date: September 13, 2008 06:27PM

Tom I well have to try that on my old Clemon's thanks forthe info.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 13, 2008 06:35PM

My oh my, now I'm embarassed. My CPW looks USED. It will take a while to get it clean enough to wax now, here I thought all I had to do was sweep the floor and empty the trash. Glad my wife doesn't look at phorum.

Date: September 13, 2008 07:59PM

Tom I used your idea on my RodSmith (PacBay) turner. I layed a 1/2 inch wide strip ofmasking tape on each side of the track top and bottom. Then I placed a thin strip of tape on each side of the rod holder base top and buttom. Put past wax on the tape. Now the holders slides smooth. this turner is about 25 years old and every time I slide the bases they hung up.. Thanks for that great tip. Now it is time to do my Clemons and new Pack bay. I have 3 turners. Wife says no more toys for now.LOL She want me to build a new shop so I have a place that she can walk around in without tripping over 30 differnt blanks plus all the compont parts I have laying around. I do have a walk around work table 4X8 that has drawers and shelves packed with 30 plus years of new and old components, thread and cork. I can't resits a good buy frome one of your suppliers. I always buy in tripple. Besides that in April when a bunch of us rod builders get to gether for 3 days in Woodland WA I always come home with something new. Anyone have an idea on a shop. LOL I am retired My job became my hoby. Oh yes Emory I did miss spell a few words for you
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.nclxtn.lexcominc.net)
Date: September 13, 2008 08:46PM

I use a method like Toms but I use Briwax insted. If you find yourself getting nicks and heavy scratches on the bed Klingpor sells a sandflex hand block that fits in the valley of the lathe bed and you can clean/ brighten it up in no time.

Date: September 13, 2008 08:50PM

Sammy good hint on the sand block. What kind of store sells them and who manufactures them?
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 13, 2008 09:43PM

We clean the PacBay lathe once a week. We scrape off any glue with a razor blade, and vacuum the whole thing with a crevice tool and also a soft brush. We wipe all of it down with denatured alcohol. We do protect it with taped paper or paper towels while we're working on it to minimize the buildup of stuff between cleanings. We also remove the thread carriages, and oil the wheels and make sure the are set up properly, and we check every screw on the tracks and on the rod supports to make sure they are properly seated. We check the drive belt for cracks too.

Sound like a lot of work but really it's 30 mins once per week.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 13, 2008 11:38PM

OK that sounds great but................................... how bout us fellas who didn't do that?

What's the best way to get old epoxy off without scraping up the anodized finish on the lathe bed? Will a little heat loosen it up?

I think the waxing is a great idea but I need to get a few globs of old stuff off first.

Ray

Date: September 14, 2008 02:28AM

Ray you can try and chip it off with a hard piece of plastic or being extremely careful you can heat the finish. I used to use a torch. Heat the finish till it starts to turn color, remove heat and scrap off. I recommend taking the lath bed out side away from the house, if you use this next method. Pour Acetone on to the bed let it soak for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then take a dish scuff pad and clean up the mess. Use rubber gloves. Also if you have breathing problems or have sensitive skin do not use this method. Never use this method in the house or in a closed room. These fumes can kill you by blowing up or affixation. This is why I use the above method, clean up is easy and just takes 3 minutes
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Perrie Thomas (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 14, 2008 11:23AM

i just aquired a SH lathe that was used soley for epoxy work, the bed was COVERED !!! 10 mins with a heat gun and a hard plastic scraper and a wipe down with acetone got the majority of it off in no time at all !

HOTRODS - Perrie Thomas Custom Rods
[www.perrieshotrods.com]

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 02:23PM

C-Fold paper towels(any brand) fit nicely between the flats on the bed.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 07:04PM

Bob,
Great, but it really isn't that hard.
Most of the time for general turning, I just leave the lathe alone and turn cork.
When done, I use high pressure compressed air to blow all of the dust off the lathe and out the door.

If I am using the lathe, for gluing, I put a piece of cardboard on the lathe bed. when done, put the cardboard in the corner until next time.
No issues and the lathe stays looking nice.

For those folks who have problems with nicking the lathe bed from the rod rests, just use a belt sander to knock the sharp edges off the rod rests and you won't have any issues.

Simplify, and reduce your stress.

Take care
Roger

Date: September 14, 2008 07:07PM

Paper towels or news paper well leak finish, that is why I use foil. Besides that I do not throw the used foil away. I use the used foil to wrep me Thanksgeving Turkey with. By wraps the Turky with used foil, it gives the Turky a nease hard glaz. This one is for you Emory. If anyone believes the Turkey thing Well you must be a ------- from the Beverly Hills area. LOL
Good Wraps Bob

Date: September 14, 2008 07:29PM

Roger That is why I have 3 laths, 1 for wrapping, one for doing grips and one for finishes. ( I also have 3 dryers). Don't get me wrong My post were for newbies. I did not buy all my stuff at the same time. I accumulated all my tools and the ones I modified over a 30 year period of time. I like you use a box fitting to catch my cork dust. I also modified my track so I can hook up a Shop Vac. An vacuum all my cork and foam dust, when filing or sanding. I was not kidding on an earlyer post When I said I need a bigger shop. My shop right now is 12 x 15. Buy next spring I want one twice that size so I can add a wood lath.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 09:42PM

Bob,
I also have several lathes.
I have - clean lathes - that I use for wrapping and finishing.
I have - dirty lathes - that I use for handle, wood and cork turning.

I keep the clean lathes in the lower level work shop.
I keep the dirty lathe in an outbuilding. After working with cork and wood turning. I vacuum and sweep up the obvious debris. Then, I open the doors, and use high pressure air to blow all of the residual dust etc. out the door.

It is very simple to keep things clean, when keeping the two different areas in different buildings.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster