I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

making cork handles
Posted by: Robert Johnston (208.51.50.---)
Date: September 09, 2008 07:09PM

does any one know of a good source tools for making custom cork handlesI mean glueing the rings turning the handles ect.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: making cork handles
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 09, 2008 08:07PM

Are you looking for a commercial source for bulk turned handles?

A few turned handles?

If you just need a handle turned, I'll help you out. Drop me an email.

-----------------
AD

Date: September 09, 2008 08:26PM

just a few like some real equipment not some home made thing with a drill bungie corded to a table. for small scale production of switch rod, spey, and fly handles

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 09, 2008 08:47PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Works real good for glue ups.

Sounds like you want a lathe for turning. I can't believe I ever didn't have one. I bought the Turncrafter Pro. $170. Cheaper on amazon than buying straight from PSI.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Mike McGuire (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: September 09, 2008 10:47PM

You might find this article of interest that I wrote for my fishing club web site
[www.peninsulaflyfishers.org]

Mike

Date: September 10, 2008 12:37AM

thanx alex checked their web site looks like what I need

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 10, 2008 08:23AM

go to any hardware store and get some allthread rod, fender washers, and wing nuts. rub some wax(gulf wax found at grocery store used for canning) on the rod, glue(titebond 11 is what i normally use) up your rings and hand tighten your wingnuts. let dry and then turn to shape. just spend a few dollars and you are set. you can turn cork with drill set ups(grizzly.com), but i would suggest a lathe as turning becomes addictive and you won't stop at just turning cork. do a search and you will find plenty to inform on what rodbuilders are using

Posted by: Matt White (---.den1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: September 10, 2008 12:18PM

How is that machine for durability? How long have you owned it. I'd just hate to drop $190 and have it die in 4-5 years!

Matt White

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2008 12:18PM by Matt White.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2008 12:23PM

You would have to put a lot of hours on it to wear it out in that time span. Oh, it can be done and I know guys who buy a new midi lathe about every 4 or 5 years, but most are turning at a rate that is almost considered commercially - they do it for several hours every day. Even then, you're normally faced with a new motor, or perhaps a headstock bearing, not an entire machine needing to be replaced.

I can remember when I just wished you could get such a machine for a measley $190. Go back 10 or 12 years and a cheap wood lathe of any count would set you back $1000 or more. The introduction of Jet's midi lathe about that time, for just $400, started a revolution in the wood turning craft. The Jet, Delta, Rikon and Penn State TurnCrafter Pro all run about $200 to $400 in their various incarnations and each one represents a tremendous value for the cost involved.

Date: September 10, 2008 12:44PM

That's what I kinda figured! I say a cheaper on at Harbor Freight but I am questioning the durability of it. Plus it only goes down to 1000rpm as the slowest. The other one goes to 500. What is the speed you usually use for grips?

Matt White

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 10, 2008 01:38PM

I have been using a Turncrafter Pro for a few years and love it! I would HIGHLY recommend getting the bed extension with it as it's cheaper than adding it later. I find it indispensible for boring woo stock for grips.

Keep in mind that the price of the lathe is just the start. Chucks, turning tools & sharpening system (probably won't need for cork/EVA only, but believe me, if you get a lathe, you will soon be turning wood and acrylic), mandrels, etc will probably at least equal the cost of the lathe. You might also consider the variable speed model. I just added the upgrade kit (new VS motor) to mine and would never go back

You might also pick up a copy of Andy Dear's DVD on turning for rodbuilders.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2008 01:56PM

I've seen the Harbor Freight model and I'd stay away from it if you really intend to get into turning. It might be okay for shaping cork grips but for actual wood turning, particularly with harder exotic woods, I'd go with one of the proven midi-lathes.

The Rikon has a little longer bed than the rest and thus in many cases it makes the bed extension unnecessary, maybe. Depends on what length items you plan to turn. I thnk the Rikon's bed is about 4 inches longer than the Jet or Delta.

I rarely go much under 1000 rpm on anything related to wood. Most of my turning endeavors fall between 1000 and 2000 rpm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2008 01:58PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.org)
Date: September 10, 2008 03:51PM

1) DO NOT get the one at Harbor Freight.

Turncrafter Pro, Jet, and several others. Read some of the posts on this BBS about lathes in general. Anything in that class will last longer than you will. Get Andy Dear's DVD on using a lathe in rodmaking - it will tell you everything you need to know about tools, techniques, lathe speeds, etc. BTW, we use a JET Mini that we got at the Rod Show last Spring. Tom's just announced an all-day demo about lathes that will be going on at the 2009 Show. Also, Wood Craft stores will help you out if there's one near you - they were an exhibitor at the Show the last two years.

2) GET THE VARIABLE SPEED unit. Costs a little more. Saves a ton of time and you can tweak the speed to fit the quality of cork you are working with.

3) Get Andy Dear's mandrels. They are machine with 60deg ends to fit your lathe centers.

4) Build yourself a cork press. Again, research this BBS for how to do that. Or, buy one from a sponsor.

5) Once you start with the lathe, DO NOT forget that the original idea was to build rods. Because, as you learn the lathe, it becomes its own hobby.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: September 10, 2008 04:33PM

Do you really need the 1/2 hp or is the 1/4 hp good enough?

Matt White

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 10, 2008 04:58PM

The 1/2 hp is what you want. One thing that you definitely want to do is check out the specifications on any lathe you are considering. Keep in mind that many of the cheaper lathes from places like Harbor Freight, Grizzley, etc (not knocking the companies, I like them both but not for lathes) have non-standard components and don't accept standard accerssories and those that buy them often end up not being able to do what they want with them. Often things like chucks, etc. don't fit, they have proprietary threads, no Morse tapers (#2 MT is what you want). IMO, one would do best to stick with proven models, Turncrafter Pro, Ricon, Jet, Delta, etc

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster