I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ugly stick look alikes
Posted by: Jason Kesckes (---.hrbgpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2008 05:30PM

FYI for all those people whose customers like the look of the shakespear ugly stick. I have found a better blank. The new Batson forecast tough sticks have a solid white/ translucent tip under that heavy black gloss. I scraped the paint and polished the tip and they look very simular.

Jason Kesckes. Aint no fish'n like bass fish'n

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ugly stick look alikes
Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 09, 2008 08:28PM

Thats good to know, as I am about to buyout the remaining supply of gutts butts from a local old man here. :)

Posted by: Matt Dotts (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2008 08:56PM

If a customer ever calls me up and says , "build me a custom rod, and oh yeah, make it look like one of those 29 dollar ugly sticks" I'll be sure to check those blanks out.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 09, 2008 10:39PM

I had a rebuttle posted for about 10 seconds...nevermind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2008 10:40PM by Sean Cheaney.

Date: September 09, 2008 11:06PM

sean'

I wasn't logged on for those 10 seconds so I didn't read the post. I was was just making light that I've never had nor have I ever heard of a customer request a rod to look like a Ugly Stick. Maybe it's a salt water thing. Seems most of the times that is what they're trying to get away from when going the custom route.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.96-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 09, 2008 11:28PM

I guess it is a saltwater thang. The Ugly sticks make great live bait trolling rods for Kingfish. The solid tip is soft enough to make a natural presentation while slow trolling live baits and creates a shock absorber for initial runs but has enough back bone to stop even the biggest kings. Plus that commercial of the woman trying to stop the husband from going fishing is pretty funny.

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2008 11:05PM

Matt Dotts Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sean'
>
> I wasn't logged on for those 10 seconds so I
> didn't read the post. I was was just making light
> that I've never had nor have I ever heard of a
> customer request a rod to look like a Ugly Stick.
> Maybe it's a salt water thing. Seems most of the
> times that is what they're trying to get away from
> when going the custom route.

Hey, didn't we just talk about this?????????????

LOL

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Date: September 11, 2008 08:01PM

Yes we did Danny, but I believe we did so in the proper spirit.

Posted by: Jason Kesckes (---.hrbgpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 12, 2008 04:48PM

I just put out the info for people to know that there is another option and not to get commentary from "experts" I do alot of work for tackle shops and if they want me to build a line of rods that look like ugly sticks then I will. I am not aware of the inside joke but I am sure I could catch more fish than either of you guys with a 10 dollar rod versus what you make. I thought this board was for information and not lets slam your fellow man.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster