I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting a Rod Blank
Posted by: John Gaylord (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2008 03:09PM

I'm trying to paint a rod blank. I sprayed several coats of black Krylon Fusion then wet sanded. I then tried to brush on U40 Permagloss for a finish coat and got a gloppy, lumpy , uneven mess. The permagloss also seemed to melt the Krylon paint. Any ideas or suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting a Rod Blank
Posted by: Matt White (---.den1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: September 08, 2008 03:16PM

One idea is to not try and brush on a clear coat finish. I to tried this once or twice with less that satisfactory results. I have heard that a nice automotive clear coat works wonders. That way you can buy it in a spray can (or use an air sprayer) and put on a nice even coat without the globby mess!

Matt White

Date: September 08, 2008 03:23PM

Is the auto clear coat as durable and flexible as the permagloss?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2008 03:25PM

No need to make this more difficult than it is. Tint the PermaGloss with black pigment - it doesn't take much, then wipe on the PermaGloss in a quick tip to butt swipe. One side and then flip and then the other. Let stand 20 minutes and repeat. You're done.

If you'll do a search on the forum here you'll turn up a ton of information. Try searching under "PermaGloss" and "blank refinishing." There is also a good article in the online library here that outlines good refinishing methods.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.org)
Date: September 08, 2008 03:29PM

First of all, scuff the blank with something like Scothbrite 7447.

Second, DO NOT use Krylon. You want to use one of the following:

1) The "Killer Can" paints by Alsa (primer, color, and clear coat)
2) Any of the other specially-formulated auto paints. Can't think of the name of the one I saw used on a customizing show yesterday, but if I do, I'll post it. These can often be had as kits with primer, color, and clear coat packaged as a set.
3) Testor's Pactra paint mixed directly into the Permagloss.

You can use a primer coat, or not. You pretty much MUST use a clear coat over your color, unless of course you choose door #3, above.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: September 08, 2008 03:43PM

Best I have found is what Tom suggests, tint Permagloss and then wipe it on. Seems to be the quickest and easiest way to color a rod.

Date: September 08, 2008 04:05PM

Would you please explain your "wiping on" technique? Also, will tinting the permagloss result in an opaque coating? How much tint do you use? Thanks.

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (97.92.190.---)
Date: September 08, 2008 04:05PM

This is how I do it. You can use any spray pant including krylon. After applying your coats of paint, spray on a clear coat. After that, let it dry for 24 hours. Then use epoxy varnish wearing a latex glove without powder and squeeze it into the blank while moving your hand up or down the rod. I generally squeeze both directions depending on the thickness of the rod versus my hand size. This has worked very well for me and I have rods over ten years old looking great done this way. Worth a shot.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 08, 2008 04:13PM

I've had good luck with Duplicolor paints. I've also had good luck with Krylon's Fusion paint. I use 3 to 4 coats of both the color and a clear coat. I plan to give PG a try, but haven't yet.

Posted by: Terry Reece (---.nets.nemais.navy.mil)
Date: September 08, 2008 04:51PM

IS the permagloss option opaque? I've been told that it doesn't completely color the rod, but will give it a slight tint. I have a rod I need to color, so I'm liking this option if it's opaque. Also, would the tints from Swifty's marbling kit work with permagloss?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 08, 2008 05:07PM

Permafloss is VERY hot and will most likely destroy most paints (test on scrap first) I've had pretty good luck with Fusion and my favorite, Duplicolor followed with a clear coat .

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2008 05:33PM

one option is to get to know a local auto paint shop. you can put a tip top on a rod and they can hang the rod in the booth when they are painting. it takes them about 10 seconds and they are done. the cost of auto painting is the initial set up. if you want black then wait until they are painting black, or red, or blue, etc. the cost of the set up is then on the owner of the car and your rod just gets put in the booth. i have found many will only charge you a few dollars or a sixpack. most of the auto paints (especially bumpers) will have a flexible additive to prevent cracking. the clear coats used by proffesional painters is so much better than what is in a can due to the fact they get to mix it, adding hardeners to the ratio they want. i gave a blank to a local auto shop to see their results. it was painted in a "flip-flop" paint job and flawless.

you can get great results with a can, but do a search and see which method you think works best for you.
good luck

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 08, 2008 07:21PM

I do not add enough pigment to get it opaque, but you can tell what the color is. Not sure you could add enough to get it opaque or not. For wiping it on, I learned from past threards here about using coffee filters, they work very well and leave a very nice finish on the blank.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: September 09, 2008 07:02AM

John,

I like Tom`s idea and iIwill try it the next time. However what I have tried in the past also seems to work good. I went to an automotive paint supply house and picked out my choice of color in the bumper paint,, It has a little flex to it). Then I bought a can of ~~Bull Dog~~, this is an activator and helps the paint adhere to the blank. While the Bull Dog is still a little tacky I sprayed the paint.

I gave this rod to a friend and told him to beat it up to see how it will hold up. So far, So good.

Tom`s way seems to be much quicker and easer

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster