I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning reel handle options
Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2008 11:15PM

Hi all!

I have been looking through the picture area of handles in search of a good looking way to do a Tennesee handle to no avail. I much prefer the feel of a solid, warm piece of cork to a reel seat. I have fairly large hands and would rather my finger tips rest on the handle than on the palm of my hand. Plus I fish in cold weather often and tape and cork are much warmer than a metal reel seat or rings.

My problem has always been that I use black electrical tape to attach the handle which in my opinion detracts from the appearance of the overall rod.

Has anyone tried using a couple wood rings where the reel would go and screw the reel foot to the handle? Or some kind of threaded brass insert glued into the cork?

Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning reel handle options
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 04, 2008 11:43PM

Stan Mclean and others have done some similar stuff.

Posted by: Scott Donley (---.propel.com)
Date: September 05, 2008 12:15AM

hey scott,
i also use Tennessee grips allot.But like you said the black tape looks more like a bad repair,not to mention the sticky hands from the tape on a hot day.I just recently bought some heat shrink grip material from mud hole. it worked great.and simple to use.just slide over your rings and hit it with a hair dryer.It definitely made the handle feel much bigger in diameter It doesn't feel like cork though,has more of a rubbery grippy feel.if that makes any sense.I like the feel ok.I covered the whole handle,I suppose you could cut it smaller so you don't cover all the cork.I think it comes in different diameters so if you choose to go that way make sure you get the right size.It was a good quick fix.

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: September 05, 2008 12:31AM

I have not tried this, but I would think that you could use a fly-tying bobbin loaded with sz A thread to secure the reel directly to the handle. Make sure that you counter spin the boobin every once in a while so that line twist doesn't become a problem. The thread would even serve to insulate your hand from the metal of the reel foot. Finish the thread the way you would for a guide wrap.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2008 07:46AM

George;
A method similar to that but using carbon handles was featured in the Rod Maker Mag Volume 10 issue #4, with a follow up how to article in Volume11 issue 1. The same set up should work with cork.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 05, 2008 08:14AM

Here is a thread wrapped reel on a graphite TN handle...

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: September 05, 2008 08:47AM

I just finished my first ultralight; I used a foam core carbon skinned split Tennessee handle. I really like the foam core grips since you can put a nice taper at the ends, or any other shape that you feel is comfortable, and it was nice not to have to put a 1oz reel seat on a rod that ended up weighing 1.4oz total (StCroix 3S60ULF).

This rod will be a gift so I couldn’t have the owner hold the rod to find the most comfortable position for the reel so I used tape to put the reel on, and against the black carbon skin the tape doesn’t look bad at all. One of the secrets of keeping the tape looking good is to use 1 wrap of fiberglass strapping tape, and then 1 wrap of electrical tape, that keeps the tape from getting too thick. I gave my sister instructions to tell the owner to try different taped on positions to find where he wants the reel then bring it back and I will redo it with thread.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2008 05:22PM

RodMaker V9#4 - The SSG-TN Spinning Handle should help. Summary - split grip ( 6 inches long, 1 1/8 diameter for reel and big hands), use 2 poker chips as described to stop cork compression and increase sensitivity (if they touch the blank). File flat spot for reel - use 2 strips of 1 inch fiberglass reinforced strapping tape to hold the reel. (drop out the electrical tape)

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 05, 2008 05:22PM

Up here in the Northland we use slip rings for Ice fishing rods, very simple and very inexspensive.

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: steve stanfill (98.209.133.---)
Date: September 05, 2008 05:37PM

Another option to consider are the plate seats by fuji. Tied on with thread, the palm of your hand stays in contact with nothing but cork. definitely going to add some weight , but they hold the reel and look much better than tape.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2008 12:51AM

Scott,
Have you tried using a hidden hood design.
Use a skeletal reel seat - bury the front reel seat mount in cork.
Use three cork rings for the space between the front and back sleletal reel seat mount.
Mount the back reel seat mount and add the butt grip.

Any time that you are holding the rod, the only thing that you feel is cork.
The hidden hood makes a very nice rod indeed.

Any questions, just drop me a line at
hflier@comcast.net

Roger

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.125.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 06, 2008 01:02AM

I have no use for TN handles. I hate them. But if you have to do something along that line, graphite rings are available. So is the mentioned thread wrapping a reel onto a grip. Some folks have put in the work of inletting "helicoils" into grips so as to use setcrews on a reel foot that has been drilled out to match. Some folks like plate seats, which I have used.

Personally, I find the easy solution to be the use of a large diameter Fuji NPS seat.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (12.213.112.---)
Date: September 06, 2008 10:30AM

Here's a link to one of Joe Emigs handles. He used a thread insert and then attached the reel with screws [www.rodbuilding.org] . It looks like a great idea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster