I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread question
Posted by: David Page (---.132.90.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 01, 2008 05:16PM

I'm rebuilding 3 rods for a guy and I pretty much have free reign to do whatever I think will look good for the guide wraps. I'm trying to come up with something a little different that'll be simple to do. My question is would wrapping a guide with metallic and then going back over it with a lighter color nylon thread be strong enough? I did one on a dowl rod with silver underneath medium gray and it looked pretty good. It's a loomis gl3 that'll be used for bass fishing.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread question
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2008 05:39PM

weight would be my concern on a light rod,especially out near the tip

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 01, 2008 05:42PM

I do a lot of my wraps that way on fly rods. I have not had a problem yet. What I do to keep weight down on ultralights is use 6/0 oval metalic fly tying thread on bottom and #100 silk on top. On bigger fly rods I use size A threads. I do use CP on the metallic thread before wrapping the second layer.

I don't build bass rods but I wouldn't think it would be a problem there either.

Ray

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 01, 2008 06:20PM

I would hesitate to make a double overwrap on rods like those. I think they'll perform and feel better, and certainly be more "sensitive" without the additional weight, slight though it may be.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2008 07:08PM

I wrap many bass rods with metallics with out going over them with any additional wraps for security; I have yet to have a metallic wrap fail.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2008 10:36PM

From the sound of your question, you must think metallics are not strong enough for guide wraps. IF this is the case, you are mistaken. Like Steve mentioned, it is NOT a problem at all. I build a TON of rods using metallic for primary wraps and they don't come back. Heck, I build almost every single Loomis GL3 Mahogany using Gudebrod HT Metallic red bronze and have been doing it that way since they released that whack color finish.

Posted by: cody delmere (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: September 01, 2008 11:17PM

another option is to underwrap with the metallic, then place the guide on top of it, and wrap with your lighter thread. same candy apple effect you just will be able to see the guidefeet through, which can be cool. a little more weight but if you keep your wraps short it is minimal

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: September 02, 2008 12:42AM

I feel your pain. Sometimes when you get one these opened-ended: "Just make soemthing that looks nice" it can be difficult and that's why I press hard for something a little more difinitive. I frequently suggest marbelizing as the finish especially on bass rods. It's easy to do, it's unique and a bit visually edgey but not so much that it doesn't appeal to almost everyone if you use the right colors. The customer gets out of the deal what he wanted - a custom rod that he helped desgign and one which is totally unique and which can never be duplicated pecislely. You get a happy customer who may bring back a referral. You also don't have a lot of time invested in planning and gathering up materials ands tools Marbelizing is a great alternative to the time consuming and intricate thread threat art.

I've got one regular, avid tournament bass fishermen that I think is abut to come over to the dark side. He amits that he is very conservative and that his tastes run to the traditional (so do mine). Finally got him to accept the concept and benefits of light weight, single foot guides and to understand that when securely wrapped they'll get the job done. He's come around on the cut-away (Castaway) reel seats, micro guides, and he even likes the marble wraps. I just haven't got him to commmit to a spiral wrapped rod even though I let him cast one and he liked it and admitted that he could cast as well or better that with conventionally wrappped rods. I'll bet he orders a spiral wrap before the holidays.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: September 02, 2008 07:27AM

If you want to keep the weight down, try marking where the wrap will be, and mask off then spray with a metallic, AUTO LAQUER say silver or gold. Then wrap the guide with out CP. Try some colors on some scrap..

Posted by: Kip Robinson (---.hlna.qwest.net)
Date: September 02, 2008 12:39PM

David,
If you're just trying to give the overwrap a little dimension and keep the color, you can use mylar tape under the wrap. It lets the wrap stay translucent and gives it a little "flash" without adding much in the weight dept. Kip

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster