I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Trimming a rod - from the "top" or from the "butt" (??)
Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 31, 2008 09:04AM

I routinely cut 1” to 2 ½ “off the tips of most of my rods. I determine how much by CCS testing. The sensitivity is improved and the slightly stiffer tip allows me to work my lures more effectively. Anyway, it works for me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 31, 2008 12:39PM

I'm not a blank maker, but from what I understand (maybe someone will chime in and set it straight) the tip area of the rod is where the least sensitive, most flexable material is used, the butt of the rod is where the high end stiffer more sensitive graphite is used as it's less durable. The tip must be durable. Right or wrong?

DR

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 01, 2008 03:35PM

Duane, at the risk of answering what might be a “trick question” on your part, I suppose that the tip would be the least sensitive, but not because of different materials used for the tip vs. the butt end. The flexing would be because of smaller diameter at the tip end as opposed to the butt end. I know that there are blank makers using different modulus materials in different blank sections for various reasons, but I don't think that's the norm.

I’m not sure what you mean by durability, but the tip would certainly be more vulnerable to damage.

The reason that I’d agree that the tip is probably the least sensitive (even though I’ve never thought of it quite that way) is because it does flex more than the rest of the rod. Note the following quotes from:

Mike Naylor (post regarding “Sensitivity article in RodMaker” -March 2, 2007)

“D = F / K D is deflection distance, F is Force, and K is stiffness.
As stiffness increases, deflection distance decreases (i.e. a stiff rod deflects/bends less). All deflection results in less movement of your hand. This demonstrates that the same force will move a hand holding a stiff rod more than a hand holding a soft rod.”

Emory Harry (post regarding “Rod sensitivity”- March 18, 2007)

“Any flexing of the rod results in the rod absorbing energy that reduces the movement at the fisherman's hand. Therefore if we look at stiffness alone, ignoring the other factors like mass and length that also affect sensitivity, the stiffer a rod is the more sensitive it will be. “

BTW, I’m assuming we’re talking about “sensitivity” in the sense of feel…….not visual tip deflection or some other meaning.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 01, 2008 04:40PM

That was my point Jim, and it was in feel:sensitivity. Cutting from the tip is not going to decrease feel sensitivity, but it will decrease "sight" sensitivity as the blank will then have less ability to "give" in the tip.

Cutting a rod blank scares some, but I'm not one of them. I think cutting a rod blank gives the builder the ability to have/create a blank NO ONE else has and it can fit/fill certian applications where no blank exists. Only downfall to this is many times it voids the warranty, but again if done correctly and the blank really had a factory flaw, most will still honor the warranty, as they should IMO.

DR

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 09:56PM

I had a 7 ' crankbait rod that lost about an inch of the tip in my rod locker, and on replacing it I found I didn't like the action nearly as well any more. I'm not sure what terms I'm involved with, but the sensation I got after the shortening was that the rod felt a little stiffer and less "compliant." In any event , it was changed significantly with only about an inch removed.

Mick

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster